Mulligan
Airbus flap settings
Question for 319/320 drivers
Do you generally:
a) use flap 3 unless you need flap full
b) Use flap full unless you need flap 3
WHY?

Hi,

I would pickup answer b. Airbus recommends flap full landing to minimize the negative effects of a low flap setting, such as reduced tailstrike margins or higher approach speeds. But there are cases, as you can see, where flap 3 is the best option, when you need to maximize aircraft energy during approach such as in windshear operations. Beside all that, there are "also" fuel policy
issues. Flap 3 is a good option on a dry long runway where you can use idle reverse and autobrake low. The runway length depends obviously on your type and gross weight, and airlines usually give a reference value based on your airplane and operations.

Airbus_a321
28th Nov 2010, 09:49
better make flapless landing :) less drag, less fuel burn, makes all the beancounters in their offices happy .....and disregard good airmanship, which usually will use flaps full as "normal" setting for landing

ok :cool: honestly I use 99.9 % FLAPS FULL for normal landing

Airbus_a321
28th Nov 2010, 10:26
AIRBUS
15th performance & operations conference
Puerto Vallarta, 23-27 April 2007

page 2 ppt

GENERAL CONSIDERATIONS

AIRBUS FCOM RECOMMENDATION

CONF FULL - MAX REVERSE THRUST

MAXIMIZE SAFETY MARGINS

page 3 ppt

for economics, airlines could envisage:

- Approach in CONF 3

- idle or no reverse thrust on landing

page 26 ppt

CONCLUSION

AIRBUS RECOMMENDATION IS:

TO MAXIMIZE SAFETY MARGINS IN NORMAL OPERATION, AIRBUS SOP STILL RECOMMENDS APPROACH IN CONF FULL AND TO USE MAX THRUST REVERSE FOR LANDING

sorry guys, that just an extract, as I am not able to bring the entire AIRBUS powerpoint presentation into pprune :confused:

rudderrudderrat
28th Nov 2010, 10:41
Et voilla (http://www.merrowresidents.org.uk/pprune/conf3.ppt)