PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow Tower, Nov 1992

401167H
26th Nov 2010, 20:54
Hi all. Are there any ppruners on here who were on duty in the VCR at the Heathrow CTB on the night of the fire at Windsor Castle (20.11.1992), or might know anybody who was?

I am an ex-NATS EGLL worker, researching some specific (non-ATC) aspects concerning the fire, and would be interested to speak to any staff (current or retired) who were at work on the evening in question. Please PM me if you can help in any way (and yes, I will reveal my identity by return so that you know its not a wind-up - if you haven't worked it out beforehand! ;))

best wishes to all in the new Tower :ok:

Talkdownman
26th Nov 2010, 23:01
I was on an afternoon shift in the VCR, ISTR as Tower Sup. ISTR it was a Friday, CAVOK, clear view of the fire and flames. Can't remember the runway config or much else about it. 'Minesthechevy' might have been with me as my LoP. He might remember something....if he wasn't distracted on the phone...

052015B

401167H
26th Nov 2010, 23:53
or listening to classical music! I blame him for getting me interested in the music of Ralph Vaughan Williams, much to the annoyance of my wife and kids! :D

thanks for the info, though

Minesthechevy
27th Nov 2010, 06:10
Thanks TDM, as you know, multitasking always was my good point - far outweighed my astounding good looks.....:}

Yes, I was on duty, kicked myself every which way for not having a camera.
4H, send me a PM.....

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Nov 2010, 07:02
Yep.. I was on watch at the time the fire started. If I recall, I was the Tower Supervisor. The fire started soon after 11am and when we saw it start we assumed it was something going on at Windsor under proper control... then we saw flames and realised it was a bit more.

Atcham Tower
27th Nov 2010, 08:05
Never assume, as I was always taught. You're all in retrospective trouble for not alerting the Windsor fire brigade. A different sort of Tower beckons ...

Minesthechevy
27th Nov 2010, 09:27
AT - not me, mate, I live in the middle of a Republic, no spongers-at-state-expense here ( well, maybe the odd Presidents wife)..........

Up the workers, Vive la Revolution.

4H, got your message, nice to hear from you, but just as I sent a reply I saw a message that your Inbox is full (or somesuch) Time to do some springcleaning?

401167H
27th Nov 2010, 17:29
MTC; springcleaning completed - awaiting further response!