PDA

View Full Version : NATS relocation...the answer?

Dolbarian
26th Nov 2010, 13:34
Hi everyone,

I'm considering a career change, as I've always had a major interest in aviation. Funding an ATPL course has long since faded in my ambitions, as the mountain of cash needed to study is simply too much for me to save for in my current position.

ATC has always interested me and I've been trawling my way through the NATS site to get all the details. I've got one main question which I haven't managed to answer fully as the NATS site is quite vague about it (possibly deliberately so?).

Anyway, it's about the realistic chances of having to relocate once you've finished at the college. I currently live in Kent, and the aerodrome course would be my preference as I'd prefer to be closer to the planes than just a radar screen. Logically it would be better for me to go to a london/south eastern airport and this is what I would hope the case may be, as I really cannot afford to relocate myself and my family.

If it's the case that the job will require me to relocate, then I'mm happy to accept that's and I'll have to reconsider this career path. It's unfortunately one of those things that I can't commit to.

I'm just hoping you experienced ATCOs out there can give me a true answer "from the horses mouth" as they say. I kinda wanted to ask before I went ahead and phoned NATS directly!

Thanks for any help

Not Long Now
26th Nov 2010, 13:57
Very roughly, 90% will do area so will end up at Swanwick or Prestwick. Of the remaining 10% for towers, probably less than 50% chance of ending up in south east. All depends on needs at the time of course, and there MAY be a chance of moving units in the future, but basically if you feel you have to stay in Kent, sounds like NATS is probably not for you

chevvron
26th Nov 2010, 13:59
Living in Kent, there are obviously two NATS locations providing ADV/ADI within normal commuting distance ie Gatwck and London City. That said, at Farnborough we had no less than two ATC staff who commuted daily from Corsham (Wilts), several from the Bournemouth area and one from Swindon, plus one of the airfield fire service personnel commuted from - Kent! So it's really up to you for these distances. If you do get through the training of course, there are other NATS units much further away such as Manchester and Glasogow from where you would probably prefer not to commute. From what I've read in these pages, you don't get much choice as to final posting and what discipline you're trained in so you may not even get 'streamed' for ADC training.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Nov 2010, 15:03
Doesn't matter how experienced we are, it's not in the hands of ATCOs. It's where the HR people decide that there is a need. I was fortunate to get the posting I wanted but not everyone is so lucky. However, at least go through the interviews, etc., as you would not be committed until later.

Good luck.

Glamdring
26th Nov 2010, 17:07
Here's how it went on my course...

12 people finished Aerodrome course.

Of that 12, 6 wanted London Airports and 6 wanted Approach course.

They did split 6/6 but one of the people wanting Approach got sent to London and another wanting a London airport got sent to the approach course (they failed their first set of summatives and promptly got what they wanted and were sent to London.

Of the 5 people finishing the approach course...

1 Wanted Birmingham and got Cardiff
1 Wanted Manchester and got Manchester
1 Wanted Glasgow and got Aberdeen
1 Wanted Edinburgh and got Aberdeen
1 Wanted Manchester and got Belfast

Zelo
26th Nov 2010, 22:05
as the NATS site is quite vague

Probably deliberately vague. But they won't be vague when you join. You'll sign a form saying your willing to go anywhere, and they will remind you of that fact and that you are a mobile grade and any preference you have is at the very bottom of a long list of factors deicing where you end up.

Logically

That word is generally unheard of when considering NATS management and HR descisions.

They will ask where your preferences are. Then they will take that information, and look at a UK map (they'll need to look at a map, as management/HR types won't actually know where the NATS units are) and then pick the unit furthest from your preference :sad:

Ok, it may not be as grim as that, but the answer is, yes, you need to be prepared to relocate if joining NATS, as the chance of having to do so is very high.

Someone_Else
28th Nov 2010, 16:17
I believe that one thing that might of changed is as you go through the selection process you may be offered the choice of disciplines, however if they are heavily biased towards enroute (as they often are) then you will have little say in the matter.

If you apply to NATS you have to be prepared for the idea that you may be posted anywhere in the UK. If that is a no no for you then you would be starting off on the wrong foot and adding to the stress of achieving a validation before you have even started.

fomeara
28th Nov 2010, 16:53
How does it work after the initial posting? Are you there for life, or can you be relocated involuntarily at any time?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Nov 2010, 17:09
Technically, you could be relocated anywhere at any time. However, just about everywhere is short of staff and, given the time taken to validate at individual units, one would not be moved too quickly. During my time at Heathrow I don't recall anyone being posted long-distance against their will although there were a few compassionate moves away from the area.

twentypoint4
28th Nov 2010, 17:11
Once you have validated at a unit NATS can't make you move anywhere. After a period of being valid you can put in a transfer request, however I have a feeling they only really appease if its a promotion i.e. lower-banded unit to a higher-banded unit (something I was told while at college, could be rubbish?)

Hootin an a roarin
28th Nov 2010, 17:35
just about everywhere is short of staff and, given the time taken to validate at individual units, one would not be moved too quickly

I'm not sure that is the case anymore with the renegotiated airport W.P.'s. Short of validations maybe yes but not necessarily bums on seats which counts in managements eyes with the wage bill.

250 kts
28th Nov 2010, 22:23
Once you have validated at a unit NATS can't make you move anywhere.

Really-since when?

Talkdownman
28th Nov 2010, 22:36
Once you have validated at a unit NATS can't make you move anywhere
You have got to be joking, Mate....what planet are you on?
Many nats ATCOs have had compulsory moves, sometimes at extremely short notice.

twentypoint4
29th Nov 2010, 07:42
Fair enough, bit of a naive comment from me before. I guess I meant that it doesn't happen often..? Or does it??

I should probably stop commenting on the way NATS operate until I've fully experienced what they can dish out. However, in my limited experience of initial postings all I can say is sit tight and expect for management's plans to change day by day.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Nov 2010, 08:20
rice.and.pea Thought you must be mistaken. When you start OJTI keep in mind that the old hands know what they're on about! Good luck and hope you make it OK.

250 kts
29th Nov 2010, 18:36
I should probably stop commenting on the way NATS operate until I've fully experienced what they can dish out

You should and I suggest you re-read or read properly the contract you signed about being a mobile grade.