PDA

View Full Version : ILS intercept vectors

alpha.charlie
25th Nov 2010, 12:40
Just a quick question, can't seem to find it in the books...

When given a localiser intercept vector, do the pilots have any discretion to deviate from the heading at all to get a better intercept. I seem to remember we have something like +/- 10 degrees but I can't seem to find it written anywhere.

Cheers

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Nov 2010, 13:06
Not advisable at busy airports as the heading will be adjusted by the controller to take account of wind and other factors to achieve the required spacing. Fly the heading as accurately as possible.

BOAC
25th Nov 2010, 13:35
Don't try it at AMS!

ramzez
25th Nov 2010, 14:00
Pilots must continue with the given heading until localizer. Controller is responsible for the obstacle clearance until the aircraft resumes own navigation.

aluminium persuader
25th Nov 2010, 19:45
However, if you're sure you won't be able to capture, please say so!

solon
25th Nov 2010, 22:15
hi,
If your heading doesn't suit to a correct interception, ask ATC for a correct one. Deviating without previous notice to ATC could lead to a conflicting situation with other traffics.

Fly safe.

carl baker
26th Nov 2010, 03:44
Quick diversion. What is the min separation for approach, and is it acceptable to say if you are vmca d sight the aircraft ahead to maintain visual separation and continue approach?

What is the min distance for this I yes and also if IMc or traffic not sighted?

chevvron
26th Nov 2010, 09:15
Partly depends on what class of airspace you're in; if it's class A you must maintain IFR separation usually 2.5 or 3nm minimum.

Roffa
26th Nov 2010, 13:05
At LHR in IMC on final approach it can, depending on circumstances, be a minimum of 3nm, 2.5nm or 2nm.

Much the same in VMC unless the opportunity for a parallel approach presents itself.