no slots
24th Nov 2010, 22:44
Hands up if your airport was prepared for the snow this evening!:O

Defruiter
24th Nov 2010, 22:47
Let the chaos ensue! :}

BOAC
25th Nov 2010, 07:43
Don't tell me, the snow caught people by surprise; Nick wot has the keys to the de-icing fluid store was on a day off; the snowploughs would not start; snow team not on standby...........been there before!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Nov 2010, 08:22
I think I saw real snow only 2-3 times during my 20-odd years in Heathrow Tower and, on each occasion, the airport authority made Fred Karno's Army look like the Grenadier Guards. Probably the best was when they de-iced a runway with the wrong stuff, which promptly froze, producing the longest skating rink in Hounslow...

bottom rung
25th Nov 2010, 09:39
The northernmost licensed airport in the UK were well prepared and the ground staff dealt with it as professionally as ever. Well done guys (and gal).

Not Long Now
25th Nov 2010, 13:54
Blimey, well done then Birmingham. Respect.

goatface
26th Nov 2010, 09:52
Hands up if your airport has snow clearing equipment dating back to Victorian times and liquid de icer which even the local tramps refuse to drink.:E

LXGB
26th Nov 2010, 10:20
Bring back pig urea, highly effective!

I think it takes all of the oxygen out the nearby rivers and kills the fish though :(

Wycombe
26th Nov 2010, 12:46
This isn't looking too clever for next Tuesday (just issued by the Met Office):

UK regions:
East of England
Wales
South West England
West Midlands
London & South East England
East Midlands

Blizzards Tue 30 Nov
Rain is expected to spread northwards during the day, turning to snow widely as it does so. Strong northeasterly winds will also be a feature, perhaps reaching gale force in exposed areas. This will lead to the potential for blizzard conditions in places, with significant disruption a possibility. At present, these conditions seem likely to continue into Wednesday.

Issued at: 1144 Fri 26 Nov