PDA

View Full Version : ARKTIKA Deicing Fluid ?

l8starter
24th Nov 2010, 17:32
Hello Chaps and Chapesses,

I have a question about a de-icing fluid called Arktika, which as far as I can ascertain is of Russian manufature, is ethylene glycol and low viscosity; so I'm thinking it's akin to Type 1, would that be correct ?

If there's anyone out there who has any knowledge of this fluid I would be grateful for their input, eg Lowest Operational Use Temperature, Hold Over Time (IF any ?). I have experience of winter ops in Europe, but I'm about to face my first winter of (private)operations in the Ukraine and Russia on a Legacy, so any words of wisdom/advice would be well received. The aircraft is outside at the moment, but hopefully will be hangered before the worst of winter sets in, but . . . ? Removing batteries if necessary I'm aware of, and warming the aircraft up before energising any systems seems wise, but any tips, accounts, problems encountered in this part of the world would help, and hopefully others too !

PEI_3721
24th Nov 2010, 20:28
I have one experience of a ‘Russian’ originated type 1 deicing fluid, but I am not at all sure if it was ARKTIKA.
As a deicing fluid, it worked very well, but unfortunately, it was also a paint stripper !!
I suggest a check before use.

l8starter
24th Nov 2010, 20:49
Thanks I'll start brushing up on my Russian )) ! Unfortunately communication can be a problem in that part of the world, and often reliant on the Handling Agents translation abilities ! ?

galaxy flyer
24th Nov 2010, 22:07
Che k your AFM Limitations section, its use is prohibited on several types.

l8starter
25th Nov 2010, 16:30
Thanks Galaxy, I have checked and it does states an approved type, but also a maintenance refernce which I don't have access to, but have asked the question directly of the manufacturer too. ))

Floppy Link
25th Nov 2010, 17:51
As a deicing fluid, it worked very well, but unfortunately, it was also a paint stripper !!

You sure that wasn't the vodka? :ok:

l8starter
25th Nov 2010, 19:27
I'm a cheap drunk too these days Floppy !

Reply from Embraer (if there any other Legacy drivers reading this) says that the manufacturer is Arcton Ltd., and the fluid complies with AMS 1424, and if that is the case then it is approved for use on the Legacy 600 !

Mad (Flt) Scientist
26th Nov 2010, 19:00
"Arcton Arctica DG Ready to Use" is the name it goes by in the Transport Canada HOT tables (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/innovation/tdc-projects-air-f-tables-477.htm)

Note however that there is no LOUT published for it, and the note to that table states:
"Manufacturer has not provided LOUT information at the time of this publication. Contact the fluid manufacturer or use another fluid."

It says its a qualified Type I fluid, as Embraer said, and that qualifies it on many aircraft as such. But with no LOUT, I'm not sure how you would use it and follow the guidelines for application ...

dvv
28th Nov 2010, 22:15
http://www.arcton.ru/doc/instruction.pdf
And yeah, you might hit a language barrier :ugh:

l8starter
4th Dec 2010, 08:19
It's been a hectic couple of weeks, but thanks for reply M(F)S. Just for evryones info, the HOT's in your link wasn't up to date at time of publication (as per note). From the faa website and search Aircraft Ground Deicing, similar info, and with LOUT stated for Arctica in Table 7 (although I was sent a pdf doc in which it was Table10, but both docs FAA for winter 2010-11).

Mad (Flt) Scientist
6th Dec 2010, 00:09
hmmm - that IS the TCCA HOT table for this winter. The link on the page above is out of date and says its for something like 2007-2008, but the pdf itself is for 2010-2011 and was issued in July. There will be an update to correct a LOUT error, but not for the Arctica product. (Its a Dow one, and Dow recently sent out an alert letter about it). The FAA HOT table is dated October which presumably explains why it has more info.

Interesting that the FAA LOUT table provides the dilution ratios - the TCCA one doesn't and isn't very useful as a consequence.