PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft taken into Farnborough last night

GrahamO
23rd Nov 2010, 18:42
No idea what I am describing, so please bear with me. Last night at abut 1030pm, I came off M3 Junction 4a which is the back route to Farnborough airport avoiding major population areas, but also has a very narrow single lane section of road. In front of me on a low loader was a small aircraft, wings removed (untidily cut off it appeared). The loader was crawling along as the wing stubs were over the central reservation and kerb area. Short enough to fit on a low loader, and quite a stocky aircraft. Two small jet engines affixed to the sides of the rear tailfin (not on the wings), and a G tail designation with the number covered with duct tape. The front of the aircraft, while physically intact, looked as if it had either burned out, or had been buried at some point. It was not a vintage aircraft, and was certainly new in that parts of engine nacelles were still quite shiny. A crashed aircraft was my initial thought but I wondered why sneaking it into Farnborough at night was necessary other than just the low traffic levels. Anyone manage to decode my ramblings into what it might have been ?

silverknapper
23rd Nov 2010, 18:49
Possibly the BHX citation going to the AAIB?

Barshifter
Could be this

Probe after Birmingham Airport crash drama - Coventry News - News - Coventry Telegraph (http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2010/11/22/probe-after-birmingham-airport-crash-drama-92746-27692575/)

wigglyamp
Probably the Citation that crashed at Birmingham.

BEagle
23rd Nov 2010, 18:50
Perhaps the wreckage of Cessna Citation 501 G-VUEM which crashed at BHX last weekend?

sycamore
23rd Nov 2010, 18:52
Probably the Citation that crashed at Birmingham,and going to the AAIB for examination....

GrahamO
23rd Nov 2010, 18:56
Thanks - that would be it. Somehow I had in my mind that the aircraft that crashed was a turbo prop but I stand corrected.

Whopity
23rd Nov 2010, 19:38
but I wondered why sneaking it into Farnborough at night was necessaryCould it be that the AAIB work longer hours than most, especially in the early hours of an investigation.

Slopey
23rd Nov 2010, 23:15
but I wondered why sneaking it into Farnborough at night was necessary

If the wing stubs were protruding over the central reservation as you say and it was a wide load "crawling along", it'd be madness to move it during the day when the traffic levels are much higher. Seems like common sense to me.