PDA

View Full Version : NATS application for people aged 35+

Jacko_1975
23rd Nov 2010, 06:58
Hi, I've just been invited to attend NATS ATC stage 1 tests etc, which going on the information in an earlier thread now won't be until April next year.
I have my reservations about taking this application any further as I'm 35 with 2 kids and a job which earns just above £37K.
Ulitmately I can't see how I could cope with the drop in salary if & when I ever made it to college, especially with a mortgage and a family to support.
Is/Was anyone else in a similar position to myself? How have you coped? For me this seems like something that is ideal for someone that is fresh out of college or uni not a guy in his mid 30's with a family.

sambatc
23rd Nov 2010, 07:09
you've answered your own questions there - you don't think you could cope.

I'm afraid only you know whether you could survive on the 1st year's 14k wage. No-one here can offer any advice other than money saving tips which I suspect would only scratch the surface of a 25k deficit anyway :sad:

Glamdring
23rd Nov 2010, 07:12
I was 31 when I applied and had 3 kids and a mortgage. Ultimately it is only you who can decide if it is going to work or not. I managed with the financial help of my family, I definetely wouldn't have managed without their help (perhaps I would've but it would've involved declaring myself homeless). I left my wife and kids in Scotland while I trained at the college and then we sold up and started renting after I got posted, this involved housing benefits and other government handouts.
What you have got to remember is that it is not just the college where your wage will be low, you have to think of validation too. 3 years of a very low wage is realistically what your looking at with the added prospect of having to relocate your family when you get posted. Good luck.

p.s. It is worth it in the end though. I cant imagine doing anything else :ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Nov 2010, 08:55
Jacko 1975... An enormous risk, in my opinion, but balance that against your current salary and the fact that many operational ATCOs are earning well over twice that amount with lots of time off, good leave, etc.

I don't know if you have any past ATC experience but starting at 35 will likely be difficult, even though some have made it. ATC is a fast moving job and better suits those who grow up with it.

Best of luck with whatever you do...

ADIS5000
23rd Nov 2010, 12:36
Jacko,

I did it at 41yrs old but with previous military experience. There were 2 people on my course who were 33 & 34 with no experience and they both got through OK. However, the pass rate at the college is not high, I seem to recall that only about 60% get through. The flip side is that you could double your current salary in 8 - 10 years. Its a big gamble though. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Regards, ADIS

soaringhigh650
23rd Nov 2010, 16:43
many operational ATCOs are earning well over twice that amount with lots of time off, good leave, etc.

Why is it such a highly paid job compared to other professions?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Nov 2010, 16:53
soaringhigh650... Why don't you ask that same question on the aircrew forum? Of maybe forums for lawyers, doctors, dentists..........

GAPSTER
23rd Nov 2010, 16:58
As HD points out...which professions are you comparing it to.If you look at jobs with a similar high level of responsibility for peoples lives on a daily basis I'm not sure there is such a disparity as you seem to imply.

Sure I feel well rewarded for what I do but I don't think it is in any way more than it should be.

Crazy Voyager
23rd Nov 2010, 16:59
Think a few minutes about the ordinary day from the outsiders perspective and it's a good question.

Then consider, for example last year the radars at eurocontrol went all black (to many VFR-squawks I belive, or something related to that anyhow), at the peak of the rush:\...

Think about that scenario, at least for me that answered the question:p

GAPSTER
23rd Nov 2010, 17:58
Fair point CV....and therefore @ Soaringhigh

Over the last 30 years I (in common with all my colleagues worldwide) have had my fair share of unusual events...two total screen failures,burst tyres + fire,numerous emergencies mostly of no great import but two Maydays,weather avoidance in a small and overcrowded TMA etc...as I point out above this will be common to 99% of all ATCOs of any longevity.

These are the reasons for our remuneration,the ability to deal with the unexpected as well as at the busiest of times maintaining safety with a high level of expedition.

Off thread somewhat for which I apologise.

winchman41
23rd Nov 2010, 18:00
Crazy Voyager

whilst I fully agree about the rush of adrenalin in controllers' bodies when a technical "mishap" occurs other than in the middle of the night, please allow me to clarify a little item in your quote of "eurocontrols radars went black".

"The Flight Data Processing System keeps track of all flights contained in its radar coverage. There is a technical limitation in a part of the system for keeping track of flights on the same SSR code. The system was tracking too many identical transponders codes, resulting in many error messages. The system reported these error messages constantly, eventually enough to block the "heartbeat" message getting to the LMCF (Local Monitoring and Control Function). The LMCF automatically monitors the health of Maastricht systems and initiated a FDPS kernel swap-over and restart. The standby kernel suffered the same fate, forcing the use of the backup system.

After identifying the reason for the crash, a filter was activated on the tracker to mitigate the issue. A software solution will prevent this type of occurrence from re-occurring."

Although the main system there is already a doubled one, this did not help here for obvious reasons. Therefore, controllers at Maastricht UAC (MUAC) have additionally a completely independent Fall-Back system synchronized with the primary system at immediate use available (it receives track and FPL info from the main system until the moment of switch over) . And are regularly operating on this Fall-Back system to maintain proficiency!

eastern wiseguy
23rd Nov 2010, 18:16
Why is it such a highly paid job compared to other professions?

Cos we're worth it.

GAPSTER
23rd Nov 2010, 18:19
Wish I had your way with words mate....could have saved myself 5 mins. plus the percentage increase in RSI :ok:

Standard Noise
23rd Nov 2010, 18:41
I sometimes ponder over a similar question after a visit to my smarmy, perma tanned GP..........

GAPSTER
23rd Nov 2010, 19:28
cosmetic surgeon? :p

Ellienmeg
25th Nov 2010, 12:32
I'm a bit older then you and have been invited to S1 in April 11 too! I know what you mean about financing it tho, it is worrying. My hubby pays the mortgage and bills and I am a driving instructor, which I can always keep, so in slightly a better position then you but it is still a big decision whether to proceed. I think you should defo attend S1 and see how far you get, otherwise you will always wonder.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide. I may even meet you at S1! :ok: