PDA

View Full Version : Hangarage issues

Lindstrim
22nd Nov 2010, 06:42
Is there any internet software to work out the best way to place A/C in a hangar?

Have tried searching and nothing has been found.
Thanks

Jabawocky
22nd Nov 2010, 06:58
AutoCad or similar works a treat.

If you saw the precission fit in our hangar you would see what I mean. Trouble is you can not easily (without 3D modelling) tell how they will get in and out. The Stabilator of the Commanche just makes it under the tail if our RV10. We mucked around for a few hours until we got it right, chalked it, then painted yellow lines :ok:

Paper cut outs work well, but again you have to try it to see how the moving of the aircraft will work.

VH-XXX
22nd Nov 2010, 08:34
I can vouch for Jaba's comments as I've seen his hangar. If you don't follow his yellow line to the MM you'll bang wing tips with your co-hangared!

chimbu warrior
23rd Nov 2010, 01:59
And as Jaba's neighbour with the loooooooong-winged motorgliders discovered, the traditional method of pushing aircraft in and out is not always the most efficient. A set of go-jacks (as used extensively by car smash repairers), can be used very effectively to store an aircraft where the wingspan exceeds the width of the hangar doors.

Dora-9
23rd Nov 2010, 04:41
Have you ever seen the Bosbok (span also exceeds the door width) being inserted/retrieved from its hangar?

Jabawocky
23rd Nov 2010, 06:27
Too true Chimbu W

We even thought about them but managed to sneak it in Just :uhoh:

PyroTek
30th Nov 2010, 10:27
And as Jaba's neighbour with the loooooooong-winged motorgliders discovered, the traditional method of pushing aircraft in and out is not always the most efficient. A set of go-jacks (as used extensively by car smash repairers), can be used very effectively to store an aircraft where the wingspan exceeds the width of the hangar doors.

I saw that one, how the hell does it get in and out?!

Jabawocky
30th Nov 2010, 10:50
Noooo Pyro..........

The one Chimbu Warrior is referring to is the 2 x Diamonds across the taxiway, however the Sinus Motor Glider you are thinking of is also an impressive effort with a multi point shuffle, and the Glassair!

Either way it makes my precission parking seem rather normal! :}

go_soaring
1st Dec 2010, 05:04
In the gliding world we just set up some 'railway tracks' which you nail/screw to the ground. Make up a simple trolley, roll the aircraft/glider onto it from outside the hangar, then hey presto - your a/c can effortlessly be pushed into the hangar, to the same spot, each and every time!

go_soaring! instead