PDA

View Full Version : Aspen Colorado LINDZ6 Departure

dualsport855
20th Nov 2010, 16:15
I may be missing something obvious but humor me. I have looked over the Jepp and FAA charts and am still unsure how I would set the I-PKN localizer course for the SID. Would I set 300 for the back course or 120 front course. As the limits have been lowered to a staggering 400 - 1 there is no margin for incorrect set up. Help

galaxy flyer
20th Nov 2010, 16:34
I puzzled over this myself, but the note on normal sensing means set in 300 degrees on the CDI. I've done it for real, so it's tested. KRIL just reopened with resurfaced runway, new approaches. It is just off LINDZ, so the best escape route for the OEI case

GF

aterpster
21st Nov 2010, 13:45
dualsport855:

I may be missing something obvious but humor me. I have looked over the Jepp and FAA charts and am still unsure how I would set the I-PKN localizer course for the SID. Would I set 300 for the back course or 120 front course. As the limits have been lowered to a staggering 400 - 1 there is no margin for incorrect set up. Help

The reason they installed a back course is so you would have normal sensing flying outbound (to the NW).

The charts still show the yellow/blue but very few indicators have those markings these days.

In any case you set 300 for the course and have normal sensing.

This localizer installation was to provide the narrowest possible obstacle containment area for the missed approach. But, it found its way into the departure, as well. Where its intercepted on that departure is not a terrain-critical area. But, there is lots of critical terrain earlier on the departure, which will get you if you don't make good the considerable climb gradient.

dualsport855
23rd Nov 2010, 00:54
Thanks Galaxy Flier and aterpster. I agree that 300 should be set. Thank you for taking time to answer this.