PDA

View Full Version : Licence and EASA

Lister Noble
18th Nov 2010, 15:47
I have a JAA PPL (A) SEP which expires end May 2011.
For the past two years I have been flying to NPPL restrictions with a medical declaration.
I could pass the Class 2 medical with an AME but as I have a pacemaker fitted would also need a 24 hr Holter,Echo-cardiogram and a stress test on the "rolling road".
Last time this cost me circa £700,probably more now, which is why I fly NPPL.
Question is ,should I renew my JAA PPL licence or let it lapse and carry on with NPPL?
The reason I ask is that everything seems so up in the air with the new regulations impending,I know I don't have to make a decision immediately but am starting to think about it.
Lister:)

IO540
18th Nov 2010, 15:53
My take on this - not as informed as some others here - is that the LAPL will happen, and UK NPPL holders will get grandfathered into it.

I think the "NPPL medical" situation will also have to be carried forward, otherwise the majority of the UK NPPL community (which is flying on the NPPL because of CAA Class 2 medical issues) will be grounded.

And France has already accepted the UK NPPL, I gather...

Lister Noble
18th Nov 2010, 16:02
Thanks IO,at least I don't have to make an immediate decision.
Fingers crossed for a sensible outcome.:)
Lister

patowalker
18th Nov 2010, 17:53
And France has already accepted the UK NPPL, I gather..

with an ICAO compliant Class 2 medical.

Flying to France on a NPPL (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2010/LAA%20Home%20Page/Flying_in_France_NPPL.html)

SlipSlider
18th Nov 2010, 21:15
Lister, it may not be pertinent to the question you are asking, but I seem to recall that in order to renew a JAA PPL at the end of it's 5-year life, you must in any case hold a JAA class1 or 2 medical that is valid at the start of the new licence.

Whopity
19th Nov 2010, 18:03
As you are flying on a NPPL I'd stick with it. A JAA Licence will be deemed to be an EASA licence so you will be able to renew it at any time in the future simply by completing a Proficiency Check (EASA terminology) and having a Class 2 Medical Certificate. The future of the NPPL is still uncertain but will certainly continue past 2012. It will be possible to convert it to a LAPL however the area of uncertainty remains the medical. EASA claim that nobody will loose any existing privileges. (http://easa.europa.eu/communications/docs/flash/easa-news-issue-5/)

SlipSlider
19th Nov 2010, 18:57
As you are flying on a NPPL I'd stick with it

I have a JAA PPL (A) SEP which expires end May 2011.
For the past two years I have been flying to NPPL restrictions with a medical declaration.

Which implies that OP would need to get an NPPL issued as a specific licence if he did not renew the JAA licence, with it's associated medical requirement.

Whopity
19th Nov 2010, 21:03
Cheaper than the medical he described!