PDA

View Full Version : ATCO Vacancies ?

5'n'3
17th Nov 2010, 15:38
Anyone know of any Approach Radar ATCO vacancies going in the UK at the moment ? PM me if you prefer. :)

chevvron
17th Nov 2010, 16:27
Usual question: have you tried NATS?

5'n'3
17th Nov 2010, 16:32
Thanks, Yes I have tried NATS but not recently. My previous experiences of their recruitment process for experienced ATCO's was not a favourable one and I doubt it has improved. If anyone has a contact for that process however that doesn't terminate in an out of office reply or answerphone then I may be persuaded to try again.:ugh:

BigDaddyBoxMeal
17th Nov 2010, 18:01
Usual question: have you tried NATS?

We automatically assume he/she isn't currently a NATS employee looking to escape before the iceberg comes into view?!

5'n'3
17th Nov 2010, 18:04
If you happen to be perched on the Iceberg, even a sinking ship can look like an attractive proposition !

niknak
17th Nov 2010, 21:06
Anyone know of any Approach Radar ATCO vacancies going in the UK at the moment

Possibly you've misworded your post, but if you want to work at any UK airport as a radar ATCO (NATS or non NATS ATC), you'll have to do ADI and possibly APC as well.

aluminium persuader
17th Nov 2010, 22:20
No you won't!

5'n'3
18th Nov 2010, 00:09
Forgive me Mr Nik Nak for my unclear post. My English is only just Level 4 and has been known to drop to Level 3 after midnight.

I have ADI, ADV, APS, ACP, ACS, PAR, OJT, EXM & METOBS

I don't however posess the illusive APC which I foolishly always thought meant Assessment of Prior Competence. Perhaps you meant APP which I don't have either.

So There.

Zelo
26th Nov 2010, 11:03
Bump.

Both Liverpool and Bournemouth have vacancies that can be viewed on their websites.

LXGB
26th Nov 2010, 11:20
Links Here:

Bournmouth (http://jobs.manchesterairport.co.uk/jobsearch/jobdetails.asp?PageNum=1&strAction=&PageNav=SearchResults&JobID=451)

Liverpool (http://www.liverpoolairport.com/current-vacancies-at-the-airport/radar-air-traffic-controllers.html)

Standard Noise
26th Nov 2010, 21:26
Isle of Man are after two ATCOs at the moment, up to £71K and a lower tax environment than the UK.

I'd go for it myself but I'm stuck in a 'Hotel California' thing right now.

niknak
28th Nov 2010, 10:57
Fraggle Rock is a great place to live and work, but it is an island with all that goes with it.
Its not for the faint hearted or those who need Cosmopolitan Hustle and Bustle to keep them happy.

PhiltheReaper
28th Nov 2010, 11:30
Does anyone know the frequency with which vacancies open up at Manchester?

I'm (getting a little ahead of myself here as I'm) waiting for the results of my Stage 1 NATS recruitment results, BUT...

It is my hope to be lucky enough to get on the Aerodrome/approach, and if even luckier, to then work at Manchester.

I wonder what the chances of getting to Manchester are, if I manage to get onto the Aerodrome/approach?

Cheers,
Phil

AArkley
28th Nov 2010, 12:00
Phil,

Doesn't quite work like that, so far as I know. If you're good enough to get through the NATS process, they'd quite like to keep you. Consequently, I believe you're contractually obliged to stay with the company for a certain length after passing through the College, and as such, they will find a post for you. I'm lead to believe they ask a preference before you start the college regarding your desire for Aerodrome/Area, and assuming you pass through the course, will provide you with a list of posts they have relevant to the course you undertook and you can again submit a preference based on the list for where yo uwant to go. Obviously though, NATS have the last say, hence them asking during our Stage 1 (I THINK I was in the same run as you) whether or not we had an issue with the ATCO role being a mobile one.

Obviously all of the above may well be wrong, but it's based on the experiences of a number of (T/S)ATCO's I know, so should be fairly accurate.

Ta,
Adam

Will_McKenzie
28th Nov 2010, 12:30
Phil,
All the best getting through the interview process with NATS.
As far as I am aware there have been 3 people posted from the college to Manchester for Tower/Approach in the last quite a few years, so chances are fairly slim, though not impossible as I was told when I was at the college!
You do get asked a preference during your approach course, though don't bank on getting where you asked for!!
You aren't bonded either so to speak, so if you really don't want to go where you posted you don't have to stay with NATS, but having just a student licence is unlikely to get you a good posting until you have validated which is when you can start thinking about moving elsewhere. I know of people who quit NATS and ended up at non-NATS airfields, and others who put in requests to leave their units on day one of turning upto their posting. All I can say is doing that is unlikely to keep you in NATS good book!!
You ultimately sign a mobility contract as NATS can't guarantee getting your airport of choice as it done on business need!
Hope that helps,
Will

sambatc
28th Nov 2010, 20:07
there's no bonding with NATS - you're not obliged to stay working for them after training.

niknak
28th Nov 2010, 22:13
there's no bonding with NATS

Is that because they know they can't legally enforce it?

Yonks ago I was bonded for part of my training, I just assumed that it was the done thing and didn't dispute it but increasingly I hear arguments on both sides.

Anyone know what the legals are?

PhiltheReaper
29th Nov 2010, 12:23
hmm very interesting, thanks guys!

Also, I was on the afternoon session at Bournemouth on 24 Nov. But that's a different thread ;)

As for Manchester, I suppose i live in hope :P Cheers for the info though. So long as I'm within 5 hours of Yorkshire I'll be happy enough.. further than that and It'll be OK, just don't want to have to fly to see my girlfriend every weekend! :P

So, would you guys say that, at least in part, your posting is based firstly on business needs, secondly on merit (through getting on the courses you want) and lastly on preference?

Phil

bottom rung
29th Nov 2010, 15:23
ADI/APP ATCO needed at Kirkwall apparantly.

throw a dyce
29th Nov 2010, 16:48
Leeds Bradford also advertising on their web page.

Sligu
29th Nov 2010, 19:37
There are several jobs either up or upcoming at Hial, Kirkwall, Stornoway and one possible other. Also i did here that SERCO were looking for several but couldnt find out anything about them.