PDA

View Full Version : What Does This RAF Tie Signify?

Nav Rad
17th Nov 2010, 09:20
A colleague of mine (ex wartime RAF Bomber Command) has a tie that he believes to be a Bomber Command tie. As I have served in Bomber Command also it is not the normal one that I possess ie reddish maroon background with the gold motif. His is not the Bomber Command Association striped tie which I also have.

His tie that we both saw, on TV, Bomber Command veterans at the Cenotaph wearing last Sunday is as follows:

Navy blue background with two very thin stripes light blue and green (I believe) running diagonally across from time to time and also with the RAF albatross in gold regularly dotted about on top of the background.

I should be grateful if any 'tie expert' could tell me the name of it as I can't find a picture anywhere on the internet.

Tankertrashnav
17th Nov 2010, 17:02
and also with the RAF albatross in gold

It may have been round his neck, but it's not an albatross, it's an eagle!

Can't help with the tie though, sorry.

innuendo
17th Nov 2010, 17:04
"RAF Albatross" ???
Not referring to the bird in the RAF insignia by any chance ?
Used to have many debates on that one over the RCAF emblem which is similar in concept.
The bird is supposed to be an Eagle.
I took the time to ask at the College of heraldry in London to get an answer and was greeted by "Oh, that old chestnut again" by the gent who talked to me. (This was pre internet BTW).
Description here:
http://www.theheraldrysociety.com/publications/gazette/2005-Sep.pdf
:ok:

Tankertrashnav
17th Nov 2010, 18:21
Interesting link, Innuendo, never knew all that about the brooch etc (or the navy's albatross).

Still can't help with the tie though.

alisoncc
18th Nov 2010, 00:52
Fairly easy to state whether it's an RAF eagle or an albatross by examination of it's droppings, whether land based prey or aquatic. Thus on a semi-regular basis one would gaze forlornly at the contents of one's hand whilst standing in the queue for the NAAFI van and state "When is the eagle due to sh*t again".

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Nov 2010, 07:13
"It's a Spreadeagled Eagle, lad, and don't you &*@~%$£-well forget it".
"No, Chief!"

T-21
19th Nov 2010, 14:35
Something to do with No 8 Group Pathfinder Force ?

Nav Rad
19th Nov 2010, 15:13
A reasonable guess T-21. Thank goodness you weren't sucked into the, red herring not reading the question, eagle/albatross discussion. I have always known it to be an eagle but merely said albatross because some of the tie manufactures use that terminology on their websites when describing other RAF ties with 'a spread eagled bird' on them. Obviously it got some people's blood racing. I probably did them a favour! Anyway, I too wondered about the Pathfinder Force, but I again drew a blank on trying to find out if they had a PFF tie. My colleague says that he was never in the PFF but that is not to say someone bought it for him unknowingly. I may yet have a tie manufacturer write in to solve the conundrum. Thanks for your thought.

T-21
19th Nov 2010, 19:14
Nos 109 & 582 Squadrons Little Staughton Pathfinder Association now disbanded had a tie. it was mainly navy blue . The RAF eagle and crown were placed between two diagonal stripesets top and bottom of red and pale blue. Either side of the badge was 109 and 582 with Little Staughton all depicted in white. I wonder if this is the tie ?

Flash2001
19th Nov 2010, 19:24
I can remember the Disciplinary NCOs in RCAF basic training insisting that the bird was an albatross. One did not challenge a Discip!

After an excellent landing etc...