PDA

View Full Version : What is going on at Porter?

a330pilotcanada
15th Nov 2010, 14:16
The other day while in a major airport (no names so the crew can not be harrased) waiting at Tim's I overhead one mention people leaving Porter for other jobs.

When I mentioned I am retired and just wanted some industry news they went white and clammed up.

I was under the opinion Porter being new is a "happy place".

Any comments from others would be appreciated.

clunckdriver
16th Nov 2010, 13:21
A330, I was wondering when the goings on at Porter would leak into the public domain, here is my take on the situation. Firstly, like many I think Porter , under the guidence of the likes of Mr DeLuce with the very able help of such outstanding folks as the Chief Operating Officer, James Morrison, should be awarded the Order Of Canada for their great work in re building CYTZ, In particular the shuting down of the Nimbies who dont give a damn about Medivacs or the other vital services provided by the airport. Now the rub, as we have observed it whilst spending far too much time waiting around the place. It would seem Porter has a crisis in middle managment, in particular flight operations. This first came to our attention when a Medic dead -headed in on Porter, he told a story about a captain screaming invective at the F/O which could be heard clearly in the first five rows in the cabin, much use of the F word and all of it totally destructive of any learning, he found out the name of the individual and his comment that the FDVR would make the Watergate tapes seem like a polite conversation and wondered out loud if such behavior went with the name. One only has to spend time at the favorite watering hole for the crews to find out that this behavior amoungst at least four of the so called "Management" Pilots seems to be the norm . Porter has managed to recruit some of the most experienced and able crews around, to watch them become totally de- motivated is a bloody crime, it seems that the first and second rules of buisinees are at work here,{1} If you own the company, hire the best.{2} If you dont own the company try not to hire anyone smarter or better than youself, they might take your job. Failing this if better folks are hired try to beat them down to your level There are other concerns about the survival of the Company but I think the failure of the IPO reflects not only this but the generall attitude of investors towards the industry.For those who may think that bad Flight Opps management cant sink an airline I would sugest some reading as to what happened in Ozz in the sixties would be in order. I can only hope that senior management, including the CP, get their act together and clean house, if they do Porter will I hope live up to its potential, if not then the Check Pilot who combs his hair at the meal table and pontificates about CYTZ being a Black Hole field, {To the great amusment of the Medivac crews from up North} and his cohorts may destroy the company, I really hope Im wrong! Good luck to all at Porter!

a330pilotcanada
17th Nov 2010, 00:14
Good Evening Clunk:
Thank you for a rather insightful post and it is sad to see that their are some problems with C.R.M. in the cockpit as far as check pilots go.

c150driver
17th Nov 2010, 22:56
such outstanding folks as the Chief Operating Officer, James Morrison
I can't help but laugh at that one....I remember him saying that he was proud to have the "lowest paid pilots in Canada" at his previous job :rolleyes:

Sir LandsAlot
19th Nov 2010, 00:03
Shouldn't we leave the personal attacks for AvCanada?? :=

What's the point of this thread anyway? Do any of you commenting actually work at Porter?

As for the original poster, I work at Porter as a line pilot and I enjoy going to work. One f/o who was not getting upgraded, left recently to go to Jazz. No mass exodus.

c150driver
19th Nov 2010, 01:36
I wouldn't call it a personal attack....merely a factual observation.

JTrain
22nd Nov 2010, 17:35
As for the original poster, I work at Porter as a line pilot and I enjoy going to work. One f/o who was not getting upgraded, left recently to go to Jazz. No mass exodus.

Out of curiosity, how do Porter upgrades work.

I see other threads on another Canadian aviation portal talks about how PD is hiring DECs, when they certainly must have qualified FOs to upgrade. I just don't understand why they aren't given the chance, when Porter has currently has 80-100 FOs....thats just not right.

I've travelled on Porter, and was impressed with the experience. Wish you guys all the best.

JT

Sir LandsAlot
23rd Nov 2010, 20:03
JT,

Last year, Porter expanded by more than 100% by going from 8 airplanes to 20. Therefore, some DEC were hired and some f/o's were upgraded. Now that the expansion is at a more reasonable pace, the preferred method going forward is to promote from within.

As of right now, the last groundschool is all f/o's and Porter is starting an upgrade class for 10 senior f/o's next month.

XKV8
25th Nov 2010, 21:48
Is this the same James Morrison that was at Skyservice and prior to that, Air Creebec?
Who might the Chief Pilot be if you don't mind and who's in charge of training?