PDA

View Full Version : Radio Telephony Licence

Adam1919
14th Nov 2010, 19:02
Hi everyone,

I passed both my written and practical RT exams/tests last month as part of my PPL training. My FTO has advised me not to send in my application for my RT licence as to do it seperately from when I eventually send in my PPL licence application will incur a charge.

They are saying if I hold fire and send in my RT application together with my PPL licence request (once I have finished the 45hr course and passed the skills test/nav exercise) I will just pay the PPL licence fee, both licences (RT and PPL) wll be granted but I will avoid having to pay an additional £70 for the RT licence.

Can anyone comment on this please as I do not know if there is an expiry on my RT written and practical results. I would hope to pass my skills test and hence apply for my PPL licence by the autum 2011. Is there a point in time whereby if I have not used my recent RT passes to apply for my RT licence they will lapse and I wll have to redo the tests.

Whilst I reckon the advice from my FTO to avoid the extra charge is helpful I cant imagine I can just hang on to my RT test passes results forever and not put in for my licence.

Please can anyone help/clarify?

thanks

mcgoo
14th Nov 2010, 19:09
Its here in Lasors, section B:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%20B%20-%20FLIGHT%20RADIOTELEPHONY%20OPERATOR'S%20LICENCE%20(FRTOL). pdf

Adam1919
14th Nov 2010, 20:04
Ah many thanks.

Whopity
14th Nov 2010, 20:38
Perhaps you should educate your FTO by getting them to read the instructions contained on the FRTOL Application Form (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1106FF.pdf)If the licence is required for use with an existing CAA issued flight crew licence or a UK issued medical certificate, no fee is payable. In the case of holders of a valid medical certificate the, Section 5 should be endorsed by the FTO/RF and the certificate enclosed with the licence application.

If no other flight crew licence is held or applied for, the appropriate fee, as set out in the current Scheme of Charges, is payable for the issue of a Flight Radiotelephony Operator’s Licence. The RTF Examiner should have made this clear to you when you took the practical test.

Adam1919
15th Nov 2010, 08:55
Thanks for the response

I see what you are saying, I am indeed in possession of a class 2 medical. However, having read the attachment above it would appear that maybe the added benefit of submitting it conjunction with a JAR PPL licence app at the end of my training has extended the validity of my results to 24months after the pass date of my last written exam (if all taken with 18 months)...hence no rush?

This is just my understanding of course, given much of this is still reasonably new to me.

My FTO is a nationally recognised provider with many years experience of passing pilots at all levels. Forgive me as a 20 hour ppl trainee I am not rushing to challenge them on what clearly appeared to be standard practice? I was just curious really.

As I say though,Im still learning and getting used to the world that is aviation training.

gpn01
15th Nov 2010, 11:52
As I say though,Im still learning and getting used to the world that is aviation training.

If you EVER reach the point in aviation where you think you've stopped learning then it would be a good time to stop!

Adam1919
16th Nov 2010, 09:19
Based on my experience thus far I cant EVER see this being a likely scenario!

Adam1919
16th Nov 2010, 11:28
Whopity, as an update it would appear that my fto pointed this out as the medical avenue you mention to avoid the fee has been withdrawn. I called the CAA today who confirmed this.

I either have to pay £70 for a standalone FRTOL or wait until I pass my ppl to send in together to avoid the additional fee. It has also been confirmed to me whilst the writen test result can be extended by 24 months if part of the other exams, there is still a 12 month validity on the practical test result.

for the sake of £70 I am just going to apply for the licence, its dealt with then.

BackPacker
16th Nov 2010, 11:36
Just out of curiosity, does the practical R/T test now also include the LPE test?