PDA

View Full Version : CC Flight Deck visit for Take Off/Landing?

Tray Surfer
12th Nov 2010, 10:56
Hello Ladies and Gents,

Being CC, I often, crew permitting, ask if I can sit in the flight deck for take off and landing and find it positively encouraged by my flight crew colleagues at BA. I find it useful to understand what is going on at different times and enjoy seeing the work of my flight crew colleagues. I think it is important for CRM to enable me to learn and also for the flight crew to tell me about things that I would otherwise not be aware of.

I obviously am only able to do this when crew levels are above minimums and I get permission from the SCCM...

Do other airlines encourage this too? Or are we lucky to be able to do this?

Thanks,

TS

glider12000
12th Nov 2010, 12:47
When I worked for an airline at LGW I was frequently allowed to do this, as like you, when above minimums, and I was working in the extra position, with the permission of the SCA and Flight Crew.

We even had one aircraft where the extra crew member was in the flight deck for take off and landing due to a lack of available crew seats in the cabin.

Tray Surfer
12th Nov 2010, 13:10
Thanks glider12000...

I enjoy being in the flight deck, probably if things were different it may have been a more suited career option...

Janu
12th Nov 2010, 13:17
My mate works for a low-cost "orange" airline at LGW and he does it all the time apparently!

bucket_and_spade
13th Nov 2010, 08:08
Happens all the time at my (UK charter) company too - usually on empty sectors i.e. going empty to a destination to fly back with pax.

sleeper
15th Nov 2010, 10:58
Not just in the UK.
Whenever space available on the flight deck, I offer seats to CC. Sometimes nobody is interested. And sometimes we need a lottery as there are more CC interested with respect to seats available.:ok:

Dave Clarke Fife
15th Nov 2010, 14:47
Happens at a German owned, Heathrow based airline with roots in the East Midlands. We get to see crew on the flight deck during their famil flight and then very occasionally once they are fully on line. Operating with min crew means that this is a rare occurance unfortunately but we are very 'pro' it happening whenever possible.

Tray Surfer
15th Nov 2010, 17:34
LOL - I am still unsure which airline you mean... Any more clues??? :p

Glad it is encourages. I like to have a good working relationship with flight crew and it is a way of getting to know the guys and girls we have up front...

Dave Clarke Fife
15th Nov 2010, 18:19
LOL - I am still unsure which airline you mean... Any more clues??? :p

Blue aircraft Tray Surfer but thats all I'm prepared to say....................:}

Herod
15th Nov 2010, 21:51
In the best of my ex-airlines we used to get senior cabin crew rostered to join us in the sim, with the agreement of those undergoing checking obviously. Very good value both ways.

ozangel
16th Nov 2010, 08:07
Both Qantas, Virgin Blue and a couple of charter airlines in australia actively encourage it - and like you say - is welcomed by flight crew.

My father, a DAME (Designated Aviation Medical Examiner - aviation doctor) did this as a part of his training (he did it with Ansett back in the day).

From his and my point of view - its hugely beneficial!

It gives those lucky enough, an insight and respect for the work done by those up front.

Tray Surfer
16th Nov 2010, 16:57
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Is it... Is it... Ah... No... Maybe not... :ooh: :}

Hope things are well at Heathrows second airline... ;)

Tray Surfer
16th Nov 2010, 16:59
Interesting... Indeed, I can see the benefits of that.

Tainlovestofly
23rd Nov 2010, 01:46
We often do it at charter in Australia too. I love it, and consider myself so lucky to be able to do it, because I remember back when I was a kid going to Bali or somewhere and I got taken up to the flight deck and got the captians autograph and chatted to him, and I know now you just can't do that.

I have heard my friends over at airline services also often do it on the 717s