PDA

View Full Version : Stapleford to Bristol

Supermattt
11th Nov 2010, 23:31
Hi all,

Has anyone flown from Stapleford to somewhere near Bristol, Filton perhaps? Any good tips on route, alternates, things to watch out for etc.?

Cheers
Matt

Aussie Andy
17th Nov 2010, 00:16
Too easy - plan as per your training and all will be well...

I would suggest direct to BNN initially (keeps you clear of Elstree) with a service from Farnborough North (132.8) as this area is very busy with traffic.

Them direct to Filton remembering to call Benson Zone (120.9) as you pass through their MATZ (they can be very busy with MIL traffic during the week and UAS traffic on weekends).

Then take a service from Lyneham (123.4) and skirt north of their zone direct to Filton.

Stop at the lovely Kemble on your way back if you haven't been there before!

Hope this helps,

Andy

WHBM
17th Nov 2010, 05:45
Certainly Stapleford to Compton Abbas. Follow the M25 at the start. Choose an oddball level like 2,200 as there's a lot of stuff coming the other way.

Overhead Panshanger and Booker gives you someone to talk to. If at a weekend watch out for my old friends (ie keep clear) at the London Parachute school, Lewknor, west of Booker.

All that stuff about Boscombe zone, I've never found them open .....

Aussie Andy
17th Nov 2010, 08:00
I didn't mention Boscombe zone - do you mean Benson? They are open during the week and sometimes weekends depending on activities. And if ZONE freq is not open then as with most MIL fields you will find a call to TWR is often answered at the weekend when flying club and/or UAS are active.

If you meant Lyneham then they are pretty much always active as are Brize...

Agaricus bisporus
17th Nov 2010, 11:23
Choose an oddball level like 2,200

WTF?

You guys never heard of Quadrantals?
Sh!t, just make it up as you go along, why not?

:ugh:

Aussie Andy
17th Nov 2010, 11:31
Quadrantal does not apply below 3,000'. The airspace referred to is Class A from 2500'.

Mark1234
17th Nov 2010, 13:16
Quadrantal does not have to apply to VFR *AT ALL*, and is only mandatory above the TL, or 3000, whichever is higher for flights under the IFR.. But just because you don't *have to*, it doesn't mean it's a bad idea does it?

If the airspace cap is 2500, everyone and their uncle will most likely be tooling around at 2 and a bit to give them some margin above without being too low. I think 2200 is pretty much the last place I'd want to be.

Oh, and if you're overhead Booker looking for 'someone to talk to', keep your eyes peeled for gliders. Far more numerous than meatbombs, and hard to spot too.

WHBM
17th Nov 2010, 13:51
Well, I am standing by for suggestions then, between the MSA in the area, the 2500 cap, the large numbers who (from their radio calls) seem to like to go along at 2400 (which must mean they are constantly looking down at their alti), and the similarly large numbers who call up they are at 2000, doubtless because it's a nice round number.

Your call.

Aussie Andy
17th Nov 2010, 14:36
Let's face it, vertical separation is no real saviour when seeing-and-avoiding in the gap between the Chiltern Hills (~550' AMSL) and the base of the TMA at 2500' AMSL.

SEE AND AVOID!! :eek:

Supermattt
17th Nov 2010, 17:44
Thanks very much for the helpful info!

Cheers
Matt

matspart3
17th Nov 2010, 20:23
Go to Gloucester instead, cheaper landing, cheaper fuel, cafe and generally a nicer place!...Route via BNN, clip the Benson MATZ and tranist the Brize zone if need be although you can climb above it and get a lovely view of England's green and pleasant land...

Lister Noble
18th Nov 2010, 07:09
You guys never heard of Quadrantals?
Sh!t, just make it up as you go along, why not?

Below 3000?
Don't suppose it matters if you just fly sims:}

Intercepted
18th Nov 2010, 09:17
I think 2200 is pretty much the last place I'd want to be.

I agree, every single student (including myself) have been taught to fly 2200' under London TMA to avoid everyone else flying at 2000'. :rolleyes:

If you trust your height keeping capabilities, fly at 2499' and most others are to scared of a bust to do the same! :ok: