PDA

View Full Version : 10 dme separation ...pls help me this...

hoaiphuongNgo
10th Nov 2010, 09:54
Suppose that we have traffic:one inbound trafffic 10 dme maitaining 7000ft,one outbound traffic 20 dme maintaining 6000ft _from the same VOR/DME and both of traffic on the same radial..So,at that time, can we clear inbound traffic for descending(will cross 6000ft)and outbound traffic climbing(will cross 7000 ft) ?What's type of separation?From what's doccuments?Is this illegal?:confused:
I'm a TWR controller,7 yrs in job.I have no much experiences!So pls help me.Tks in advandce!:\

reportyourlevel
10th Nov 2010, 12:36
In the UK, aircraft on reciprocal tracks at the same level are considered separated when they are 40 miles apart. This can be reduced to 10 miles if it can be established that they have passed each other. This may be further reduced to 5 miles if the aircraft are within 100 miles of the DME station.

Position reports must be made relative to the same "on track" DME station and separation using DME is not to be used within 15 miles of the station due to slant range errors.

malecontrol
10th Nov 2010, 16:20
As a TWR controller you shouldn't be doing this separation, at least not without proper training. That's the approach controller's job.

hoaiphuongNgo
10th Nov 2010, 22:16
Tks so much all your help!Acctually I work in a TMA:from ground up to FL100 within 30 DME,includding takeoff and landing clearances,traffic on ground etc..(APP+TWR+GND controller:3 in 1):)So,as an approach controller,can I use 10 dme separation instead of using VOR sep(15 degees, 15NM)?Pls give me suggestions!:bored:

Frunobulax
10th Nov 2010, 22:32
Fine with me :)

BTW How is 15 NM/15 degrees VOR separation used in your countries? Do they both have to be outbound the VOR?

hoaiphuongNgo
11th Nov 2010, 01:12
In VietNam,the VOR separation is applied :both traffic outbound,one inbound and one outbound,but not often both inbound.
It means that the vertical separation must be maintainted btw two traffics until one of them outside 15NM fr VOR;or inbound traffic, after being cleared VOR approach, commence to outbound(over station)and leave initial approach altitude,following published app procedure.In the second situation,traffic outbound (departure traffic)keep maintaining his old radial,climbing to cross initial app alt before resuming navigation to the route in FPL.Is this alright?
Has anyone used to touch down at PhuCat airport?That's mine:O...Welcome all...:)

RustyNail
11th Nov 2010, 14:43
In the situation you describe (inbound/outbound reciprocal track) you can use 5nm based on GPS distance (or DME reports with the 15nm proviso for slant range).

jump3r
12th Nov 2010, 10:28
'What's type of separation?From what's doccuments?Is this illegal?'

Generally speaking....There is a heirarchy of documents to follow which prescribe what the acceptable separation standards are. The top documents come from ICAO and includes ICAO's Procedures for Air Navigation Services – Air Traffic Management (PANS-ATM) (Doc 4444).

The ATSP that you work for will probably have their own manual of standards (based largely on this ICAO document) for you to follow, so best for you to refer to that one to know if what you're doing is legal or not ;)