PDA

View Full Version : Simulator Assistant

Shrimps
9th Nov 2010, 21:42
I've found on a few job sites the post of 'simulator assistant' through Capita Resourcing; though I'm guessing from the job description and from a post I've seen here that it is working with NATS; though even PPRuNe seems to be coming up short of information!

Can anyone give any insight as to what the job entails, as the actual job description (http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSeeking/Simulator-Assistant_job48980609) is rather vague - especially with regards to issues such as working hours and pay.

Thanks

Someone_Else
9th Nov 2010, 23:02
Hmmm...interesting one this is and I have to be honest I don't have any idea exactly what this is recruiting for.

What I can tell you is that the job description does not tally with a simulator assistant, it sounds like a full on Air Traffic Assistant post.

Also, the only Nats presence in Manchester now is at the airfield doing aerodrome control. The position of 'simulator assistant' does not fit as there is no such role. Again it would fit with recruiting a full on ATSA but I am not aware that there is a need and also I don't think Nats would outsource the position.

So, I would suggest that this may not be a NATS opportunity. However, I could be wrong and maybe someone could offer further insight.

I would suggest that if you are interested that you get in touch with Capita and find out exactly what it is.

Rocket_Science
10th Nov 2010, 13:08
Sounds like a tower assistant job at Manchester Airport. They do have a basic simulator there, but the roles described are what the tower assistant does.

Intriguing!

opnot
10th Nov 2010, 16:17
HI
This is a tower assistants job on the cheap. you do not work for NATS who provide the ATC services at Manch, and therefore do not get the same terms and conditions as existing NATS assistants.

Shrimps
10th Nov 2010, 17:24
I got an updated job description and it certainly sounds like it - thanks for the help, chaps. Think I'll apply anyway; sounds a lot better than my current job, agency or not!

Loki
10th Nov 2010, 19:10
Well, good luck with your application.....and good luck with Capita too!

niknak
10th Nov 2010, 19:36
although working for NATS would be the better situation, there's nothing wrong with working for Capita.
They're a huge outsourcing company and a decent employer who run many contracts through the UK and Europe on behalf of many major companies.

You should be aware though, that like a number of similar organisations, they often advertise for staff prior to winning contracts.
They do this to establish roughly how many people of the requisite experience are likely be available to run the contract they are currently bidding for and if enough contenders apply they can prove that they're capable of running the contract.

Its perfectly possible that you are applying for a job that may not actually exist at the moment, but don't let that stop you going for it, as I say, Capita are a lot better than most outsourcing companies.

arearadar
10th Nov 2010, 20:53
I can`t comment on the present day description but I was an ATCA2 back in the sixties.

I was involved as a simulator assistant during the training of `D` men to do radar, prior to the introduction of the `Mediator` system.

My position remained as a fully qualifed ATCA2 with all the appropriate pay and conditions that applied to that post.

My duties, along with the other 3 ATCA2`s, was to run the simulator, producing the radar traffic for the simulation.

West Drayton had a simulator section but I imagine that has now moved to Swanick.

Dave :ok:

Shrimps
10th Nov 2010, 22:02
Thanks for the further feedback.

While I don't know about Capita as an agency (I'd never heard of them before!), the person I've spoken to regarding the vacancy there is based at CTC Fareham and has a NATS email address in addition to the Capita one; which I would hope indicates a certain amount of credibility and reliability (famous last words!).

niknak
11th Nov 2010, 18:32
Shrimps,

as I say, Capita are huge and run anything from the Docklands Light railway, Local authority departments of all makes, the London Congestion Charge scheme and a miriad of other things worldwide.
However, don't worry, they are just an outsourcing contractor and a pretty good one at that, if your contact ha email addresses for both them and NATS he can't be doing too bad a job;).

Good luck.:ok: