PDA

View Full Version : Link to video needed please

Tone
7th Nov 2010, 17:36
Anyone remember a video of someone rolling a SEP down a hillside and then gliding to land near a river? All done without power - as you do. Was telling a friend about it but I can't find the link. Does this stir any memories ( or was I dreaming)?

Sam Rutherford
8th Nov 2010, 07:36
Not dreaming, but not sure how helpful I can be...

Definitely on YouTube, some sort of tailwheel LSA, and yes, truly awesome flying. He also talks somewhere about having a hours/landing ratio in the region of 10 landings/hour across his logged time!!!!

Someone will know! Sam.

Deeday
8th Nov 2010, 09:36
I too remember that video and think I've found it at last. The keywords to search for were 'dead stick take-off':

jeQP-H_31JQ

blueandwhite
8th Nov 2010, 20:47
Its amazing what you can do with a helicopter and a cutout of a bit of undercarriage, nose and a fake prop. :E The scenery looks like East Anglia to me. :O

Seriously now - it reminds me of EFATO at courchevel.

Pilot DAR
8th Nov 2010, 21:44
So, you'd log that flight in the airframe log, but not in the engine log?

chris-h
8th Nov 2010, 22:11
If it was a helicopter, wouldnt the grass be blowing at the sides?
I think its real

kevmusic
8th Nov 2010, 23:34
Erm, I don't think blueandwhite was deadly serious there. :rolleyes:

Heliplane
9th Nov 2010, 09:17
Thanks - I was looking for this recently and couldn't find it - amazing video.

Those boulders on the slope just beyond the takeoff point looked a bit scary though.

BackPacker
9th Nov 2010, 10:01
So, you'd log that flight in the airframe log, but not in the engine log?

And in your personal logbook you log it in the "Glider" column, and the hours cannot be used towards SEP revalidation...:ok:

Logbooks specific for gliders have a launch method column though. Winch, Tow and one other which I forgot. I wonder how you put "gravity assist" AKA freefall in those.

coldair
9th Nov 2010, 13:44
Many thanks for posting that video again.

It dissapeared from Youtube for a time, great to see it again. This guy is a true aviator, not that I'd ever have the skill, nerve or experiance to try that but very well done.

Noah Zark.
9th Nov 2010, 21:32
This guy is a true aviator,
I think this guy is a nutter.
Having set off down the hill, he is totally commited. There is no way he can apply brakes if he had a change of mind, or he would be straight up on his nose, and worse.
If he had by some chance found himself where he was by accident, and his engine was u/s, and it was his only option, you pays your money and you takes your chance.
But to risk what appears to be a serviceable aircraft just to see if it can be done says too much spare cash/not enough between the ears to me! :ugh:

VOD80
9th Nov 2010, 22:26
A long time ago, I had a check out to be allowed to fly into Peyresourde, a little altiport in the mountains near Toulouse. Not as extreme as this video but, even with the engine on, as soon as you start the takeboff, you're fully committed! Same with the landing, there comes a point where you are fully committed with no "go around" option.

I suspect this guy knew his playground pretty well :-)

Pitts2112
9th Nov 2010, 23:17
I was wondering how soon the "oooohh, it's too dangerous" brigade was going to come out. The guy thought it, did it, succeeded, and nobody died. And had a hell of a lot of fun in the process.

With attitudes like Noah Zark's we'd have never come out of the bloody trees!

blueandwhite
10th Nov 2010, 21:08
The Pitts :)

With attitudes like Noah Zark's we'd have never come out of the bloody trees!

Course we would of, its bliddy dangerouse up in them there trees. Risk of falls, splinters not to mention lightning strikes. Elf & saftey nightmare in the trees. :ugh:

PS the man who taught me to fly into and out of Courchevel died messing up a landing off piste on skis, in the same plane as I flew. I suspect he had evaluated the risks, and found them acceptable. I don't think he was wrong in his evaluation.

rans6andrew
10th Nov 2010, 21:30
Shirley the most dangerous part of this would have been the first landing at the top of the mountain?

The first time he landed at the top it would have been onto an unknown surface with all of the risks that that would carry. Once on the top a reccy, on foot, could be used to check the surface for hidden boulders/holes/sharp obstructions etc and a best way for take off judged.

The engine off departure could be worked up to by taking off the first time with normal full power setting and then repeating at 75%, 50%, 25% and finally, engine off. Once at this point there is little risk of EFATO cocking things up so it is probably safer than level ground with a hedge at the end.

In my experience a downhill take off is pretty much a non event but the uphill landing still causes me to "grip the button in the middle of the seat cushion" if there is no go around option at the landing site.

Rans6...

tggzzz
12th Nov 2010, 07:58
Anyone remember a video of someone rolling a SEP down a hillside and then gliding to land near a river? All done without power - as you do. Was telling a friend about it but I can't find the link. Does this stir any memories ( or was I dreaming)?Here's the equivalent for a glider
YouTube - Bezmiechowa , szd-12A "Mucha 100 A" - samo-start grawitacyjny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la3rb9LfG0Q)

tggzzz
12th Nov 2010, 08:02
Logbooks specific for gliders have a launch method column though. Winch, Tow and one other which I forgot. I wonder how you put "gravity assist" AKA freefall in those.My logbook from the 1970s includes catapault, winch, motor car tow, aero-tow, rocket assisted. Presumably the last is anticipating the space shuttle.

Tone
12th Nov 2010, 18:00
Thanks Deeday, that's what I was looking for. Would have replied earlier but someone very kindly moved the thread and I thought it had been deleted.

It flies
12th Nov 2010, 18:06
Great video. I like this one too. Just stand on a mountain on a breezy day, hop a few times and fly away. No power needed.

b_EjsgLXdb8