PDA

View Full Version : CDA's

TAAMGuy
8th Nov 2010, 12:45
Hey Folks.

I'm working on a project simulating continuous descent approaches. What I'm wondering is what kind of rates of descent and IAS's you folks in the 'front office' are utilizing. I am using a descent gradient of 318'/nm which was provided by one of our clients (airline). I'm assuming a constant IAS of 280kts from mach transition down to 10,000' then 250kts(ATC restriction) or whatever speed the STAR is mandating for the various segments. We are attempting to design procedures to eliminate any flat segments and exploit the VNAV capability of newer generation aircraft. So, I'd love some data or some feedback. I can alter speeds and rates of descent at every flight level from TOD all the way to the outer marker.

The 280kias is just a starting point and initially I'm using the B737NG as our test bed. Is this descent speed realistic? If TOD is say 120-140nm from destination, what sorts of descent rates might you see initially? Also, can you comment on how the FMS manages a descent?

As always, any insight appreciated.

duelinput
8th Nov 2010, 15:26
318ft/nm is around 5% of glide path gradient.
if you want a CDA from top of descent your rate of descent should be 5 x the ground speed.
let's say you descend from 36000ft at 120nm, if your TAS is 500kt (+/- wind) your rate of descent will be 2500ft/mn
from 10000ft expect a 1300ft/mn when flying at 250kt