PDA

View Full Version : Human Organs - Flight Status

Robin Byfleet
5th Nov 2010, 22:36
Hi

I am after some guidance here, as there appears to be some confusion about a certain type of medical flight, and its priority status.:eek:

We all know that certain categories of flights have priority over other flights; the highest being “MAYDAY”,

When filing a Flight Plan if we are operating on a “hospital” flight, we input “HOSP” in on our flight plan, under other information, to gain priority (where possible).

My question is if you are not carrying a patient, but you are carrying “human organs, or urgent human blood” that have a time life factor;

a) What should you put on your flight plan ?????
b) What priority should you receive (if any)???

Have asked some friends in ATC (Airfields and ATCC Centres in the UK and overseas) and Ops sections, and get different answer,:confused:

some say you get NO priority in flight status,
some say just put in “HOSP”, and go with it, but it’s embarrassing if you are asked by ATC, is the ambulance arrange for you, when you only are expecting a blood donor type van (all be it with blue flashing lights).

Talkdownman
5th Nov 2010, 23:07
In the UK Ambulance/Medical flights are Category A status only when 'the safety of life is involved'.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Nov 2010, 07:53
During my time at Heathrow I must have dealt with many hundreds of ambulance, organ-carrying or sick-passenger flights. All I can recall is simply being told by a supervisor that XXX was a medical flight or being advised by the pilot. I don't recall any flight having Cat A status except the HEMS helicopter when involved in serious accidents (see Talkdownman's post). Sick passengers on commercial aircraft are a way of life but I never knew one to be afforded Cat A status. Nevertheless, when we were notified of a medevac of any sort we would bend over backwards to give it priority.

My advice would be to phone the ATC unit at your destination and advise them.

Talkdownman
6th Nov 2010, 08:13
We ATCOs at Heathrow also bent over backwards to obviate delay to organs in the absence of a flight priority. I used to fly these 'picnic boxes' (along with other Heathrow ATCOs...) and put 'HOSP' on the FPL but am not sure if it should confer any priority. It certainly seemed to. Maybe the 'HOSP' answer is in a CAA or CFMU flight planning guidance doc.

FantomZorbin
6th Nov 2010, 09:12
I concur with Heathrow Director. When I was at Wyton we used to get a few flights carrying organs for Papworth (just down the road). We used to be notified by phone but I don't remember seeing any FPL with special status. As above, the flight* was treated as non-deviator and no-delay ... it was usually in the wee small hours so no hassle.

* The pilot was sometimes an ex ATA Lady ... a truly remarkable person!

P.S. Eventually the accountants decided that the operator of the a/c (St John's Ambulance) was operating for 'hire or reward' so refused to waive landing fees etc. ... fortunately the USAF at Alconbury had a different take on the matter. B****y beancounters:*

throw a dyce
6th Nov 2010, 09:17
With Scottish Air Ambulance aircraft based at Aberdeen ,this problem often arose.The aircraft would have to position out to the isles to bring patients back.If they were Cat A they would let us know,but we often asked if their case was urgent.If it wasn't then we would try to give more priority,but it was subject to traffic.They always got moved up the order for inbounds and outbounds,but there was no way of telling the nature of the case unless they went Cat A.Happened every day.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
6th Nov 2010, 10:02
This thread reminds me of a flight I did a few months ago where we had a human organ on board.

On hand over from London Control to Heathrow Director, the controller said,

'Callsign, contact Heathrow Director now on 119.725, they know about your organ'.

Made us both have a good laugh! :).

Over+Out
8th Nov 2010, 04:27
There are companies out there that put 'Hosp' onto a flight plan that are positioning out to collect their patients as well.
I think this whole issue needs to be looked at, do we need a ''Medical Pan'' so that we know there is nothing wrong with the aircraft, it just requires priority?

kontrolor
8th Nov 2010, 14:51
in EU flight with human organs on board is considered as Hospital and is also treted in such manner.

boredcounter
9th Nov 2010, 08:05
A very fuddled memory thinks the AO cannot file STS/HOSP HOS etc anymore. That info should be added by the local ATS?

I may have got it very wrong, but I thought it went dowm the same road as th old AO RDY message, now an ATC REA message because some carriers told little white lies?

Like I openly admit, just my take and no references available. Please do correct me if I am out of touch.

Carry on keeping them safe ATC boys and Girls, regards

Bored

Is my take reference to CFMU requirements for slot exemption?

chevvron
9th Nov 2010, 10:51
Apart from some FISO airfields, local ATS rarely have anything to do with filing FPLs nowadays; there are so many readily available sytems such as AFPex that most pilots/operators file themselves.
That said, I recently saw 'STS/ATFMUEXEMPT' on an FPL for a 'medical' flight
filed by the operator.