PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bournemouth Tower

rich_g85
5th Nov 2010, 13:08
Me again!

I just wondered whether the Bournemouth Tower controller has a radar screen or is it purely 'visual'? A few weeks ago on a busy Saturday, there were around 4 or 5 aircraft including us, instructed to orbit at various points in both the left- and right-hand circuit while a Ryanair flight departed.

It made me wonder whether the controller simply kept a picture in his mind of where we all were in the circuit (along with callsigns), or whether he could see us on radar.

D'oh- thinking about it, I may be able to answer my own question .. re-entering the zone we requested circuits and we were issued a squawk, so I suppose that answers that question. :)

Any anecdotes or insights are always welcome though!

chevvron
5th Nov 2010, 15:23
I have no knowledge what equipment Bournemouth tower have presently as I haven't been there since 1974!
Just because you were issued with a transponder code doesn't mean they have any sort of Aerodrome Traffic Monitor, which is what a mini radar display in the VCR is called.This could have been what is called a 'conspicuity' code to show their radar controllers where the circuit traffic is. Having said that however, most modern ATMs show both primary and secondary radar.
If you're training at Bournemouth, I would suggest you try to visit the tower to see for yourself.

slowclimber
8th Nov 2010, 21:39
Like most airports equipped with radar, Bournemouth have an ATM (aerodrome traffic monitor - a limited radar screen covering the final approaches and circuit area) - in the visual control room. This isn't used for controlling, but as an aid for planning (see CAP 493 for the permitted uses of an ATM). The tower controller will use their mental picture, updated by looking out of the window, and aided by strips and the ATM, to control circuit traffic. 7010 is primarily for the use of the radar controllers, to indicate that such aircraft are remaining in the circuit.

chiglet
8th Nov 2010, 23:23
Perhaps,it's because Bournmouth Airport has an "Approach" facility....
Like APC/Radar 119.475
Taken from the CAA AIS website :ok:

DAL208
9th Nov 2010, 11:54
Have visited the tower whilst a student at the college next door. I can't remember if they have an ATM (small radar in VCR used for informational purposes) but am pretty certain they did. However, downstairs they also had a normal approach radar facility which is where you would have been given your squawk on entering the zone.
To answer your original question, the controller would have still been able to keep you all orbiting with a picture in his head using his flight strips as a guide.

rich_g85
9th Nov 2010, 12:45
Thank you all for your replies. :)

Unfortunately I missed out on the recent BFC 'visit to ATC' last Friday, however I will be sure to make the next one.