PDA

View Full Version : Direct Routings

CAT3C AUTOLAND
4th Nov 2010, 11:47
Just a quick question please.

Flying into Glasgow last night and commenced flying the LANAK 1A from Margo, and was given a direct routing to LANAK, with various descent clearances. When this clearance is given, does the controller still expect you to comply the the speed and descent profile of the STAR when you are passing abeam the associated points?

Would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me, thanks very much.

Glamdring
4th Nov 2010, 11:58
No. If there were any speed or descent contraints they would need to be re-stated with the new clearance (i.e. the direct LANAK instruction)

rolaaand
4th Nov 2010, 12:28
The SLP is TLA D10 or 3 mins before the hold when FL140 or below. Also the Scottish TMA is class D airspace,which is a 250kt speed limit below FL100.
As part of our silent handover procedures with the airfields they expect you to be complying with the SLP. If it's quiet then high speed can normally be co-ordinated on an individual basis.
If we have to hold you at short notice at LANAK for whatever reason and you enter the hold too fast,you will end up going north of the holding pattern and getting close to traffic on the DCS and TRN SIDs off 24 at EGPH.
You will rarely follow the full route via TLA and invariably get either direct LANAK or a heading in that general direction.At the very least,even if you thought you were no longer on the STAR,I would expect you to reduce to 250kt below FL100.
There have been quite a few issues regarding the SLPs in the Scottish TMA recently,some due to confusion about whether the arrival was being followed,and some that were blatantly doing their own thing! A change to the SLPs would help i think. Maybe making them a simple 15D LANAK or TARTN.
If in doubt,don't be afraid to ask on the frequency, and we always welcome visitors if you fancy popping in for a look :ok:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
4th Nov 2010, 14:27
Thanks alot for that guys I appreciate it.

I visited Swanwick about 18 months, and found that very useful, and nice to put faces to voices on Heathrow Director. If I am ever up in Prestwick I am take you up on that offer Rolaaand :ok:.

Its always great to have ATC guys on the jump seat too!

Thanks again, all the best.