PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody else apply for the Humberside Airport ATCA

NDW
2nd Nov 2010, 17:36
As the title says, did anyone else apply to Humberside Airport as an ATCA and have you heard back or heard anything?

Thanks

SM82
5th Nov 2010, 08:38
i did but never heard anything back

LessThanSte
8th Nov 2010, 15:36
I did. Havnt heard anything yet, on the website it currently says 'processing application', so something appears to be happening. I was planning on giving them a couple more days and then giving them a ring to see if theres any progress.

But still, its only been 2 weeks, give them chance (Southend took 2.5 months to respond to people!)

NDW
8th Nov 2010, 16:27
Yep, that's what my states currently also.

When I clink on the link 'View details' it states that my application has been reviewed.

Like you say, I'm going to leave it until Wednesday and give them a ring to see what the current situation is.

Fingers crossed. :ok: and best of luck to all of you who also applied.

Regards

Nathan

LessThanSte
8th Nov 2010, 16:54
Exactly the same as on mine. Its better than rejected i suppose :)

SS10
8th Nov 2010, 19:44
I applied, haven't heared anything back yet.

Can I ask what sort of background others who applied have?

LessThanSte
9th Nov 2010, 08:57
Actually looking on the recruitment site, the 'recruitment process' page suggests that they send out paperwork to referees before they sift through the applications. That will surely take a couple of weeks at least, so i dont think anything to worry about.

SS10, i have an MEng Civil Engineering degree, with mucho group work involved throughout, as well as a number of specific data collection projects. Also an interest in aviation/atc, a knowledge of some of the terminology and stuff of that ilk. I think im ideal, but then find me a candidate that thinks they are not. We shall see :)

LessThanSte
9th Nov 2010, 08:59
Oh, one other thing of note. From the FAQ;

How long will it take before I find out if I have been asked to attend an interview?
Usually the short listing process can take up to four weeks, depending on how many applicants have applied for a position. Human Resources will write to all candidates in due course to inform them of the outcome of their application.

NDW
9th Nov 2010, 09:51
I myself am currently an Operations Assistant based at Norwich Airport.

I'm an ex- Air Training Corps cadet with just under 15 hours of flying time under my belt (that includes Gliding and Powered-Flying).

I've recently applied to the RAF as a WSOp, but unfortunately failed to make the grade by 7 marks on the AST.

I was awarded an Aircraft Recognition award during my time in the A.T.C after I represented Norfolk and Suffolk wing at the Rehional Competition day.

As LessthanSte said, eveyone feels they are the ideal candidate, but it is down to the selection board at Humberside.

niknak
9th Nov 2010, 13:24
the 'recruitment process' page suggests that they send out paperwork to referees before they sift through the applications.

No they wouldn't.

Referees would only be approached if they were going to offer you the post.

HR and the ATC General Manager will have done a paper sift of all applications by now, it's just a question of them getting together to decide upon who they're going to put under the thumbscrews at interview.;)

Having worked at airports and in ATC for a long time, I know how painfully slow the process can be but stick in there folks and good luck to you all.

LessThanSte
9th Nov 2010, 16:57
If your referring to the post by HD that appears to have vanished,I think its a perfectly valid question, on that requires an answer that would take me hours to type on my phone.

if your not referring to that over no idea what your on about!?!

niknik, I'm just stating what it says on the MAG website in terms of how their recruitment process works. il post a link later :-)

niknak
9th Nov 2010, 18:55
No worries LTS, you don't have to justify yourself.

I'd thought I'd just clarify the reality of way things go in these situations more to put the applicants minds at rest.

Yahoo, keep your knickers on, what HD had to say was perfectly relevant. Just bear in mind that some of us have a lot of advice to offer based on our professional experience, if you don't like it, ignore it and go your merry way.

LessThanSte
9th Nov 2010, 20:04
Heres the link;

Manchester Airport Jobs (http://jobs.manchesterairport.co.uk/staticpages/1.asp)

:)

It does seem a bit backwards, why spend time contacting referees of people that dont even make it past the shredder, but im sure they have their reasons!

Re earlier post, i was asked precisely the same question during the Eurocontrol interview and answered it well (apparently, according to the interviewer when he gave feedback after). The point i guess im making is that at least its worth thinking about and not blanking over like some people may do.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Nov 2010, 15:25
So why didn't you question me sensibly instead of making the churlish comment? I'm sorry, but I'm too old to deal with fools.

I have exchanged lengthy private emails with LessThanSte as this is obviously not the place to discuss matters sensibly.

SS10
10th Nov 2010, 15:32
Thanks for the replies. I was just curious to see what sort of background fellow applicants were coming from.

Just for the record Im currently in college self funding Basic Training/ADI Rating. Prior to that I had little aviation experience other than what I had taken into my own hands to learn, bit of ground school, Radiotelephony License etc. Studied my arse off to get a little bit of background knowledge before starting college basically.

Thanks for the replies.
SS10

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Nov 2010, 16:54
SS10... good show. Hope you get the Yellow Peril OK. Your background sounds a bit like mine - aircraft spotter, ATC Cadet, Flight R/T Licence, etc. I'm sure it all helped..

NDW
12th Nov 2010, 19:42
Anyone heard or received anything yet? I've tried phoning HUY, but with no avail.

LessThanSte
19th Nov 2010, 15:51
Just spoke to someone at MAG HR Shared Service who said that they have been told by Humberside to expect some progress in early December.

NDW
20th Nov 2010, 10:47
Ahhhhhhh!! Even longer to wait, it's killing me.

NDW
2nd Dec 2010, 11:25
Anybody been able to receive any news or updates regarding the above position for interviews etc?

Kind regards

NDW
2nd Dec 2010, 15:31
Received an email from HUY HR stating that short listed candidates should be contacted within the next week regarding selection interviews.

Kind regards and Best of luck to those who applied.

renie5uk
16th Dec 2010, 22:50
I received the same email but on 8/12 saying they're aiming to get in touch the following week....i'm still waiting.

Do you guys think interviews for the chosen few will commence in the new year seen as there's not long left until Christmas?

NDW
17th Dec 2010, 14:30
I would think that those successful for the interview would have it in the new year.

Good luck.

Treefig
19th Dec 2010, 16:36
Interviews have been and gone.

renie5uk
20th Dec 2010, 10:04
Just received a rejection email from MAG.

Any suggestions on where to go from here. Does anyone know of any other ATCA positions at the mo or if any are due to come up?

duvalman
20th Dec 2010, 14:18
Just been made redundant from a ATCA position in the north west,GP had 100 applicants from a advertised position.Not nice in aviation at the mo.:confused:

niknak
20th Dec 2010, 16:37
All I'd say is that keep trying.

When you send your CV to an airport for the first time, make sure that it's checked out by someone else (preferably within the aviation industry) for standard, grammatical errors and basic honesty.
Make sure that you send a one page, hand written, covering letter which tells the employer why you are better than anyone else.

Having recently being involved in reviewing CVs, there are so many where the applicant:

1. Can't be bothered to find out the name of the person who is in charge and address the letter to them personally.

2. Can't be bothered to take the initiative and make a speculative application, even when they apply to a specific job advert, all they can do is cut and paste, even when it says not to.

3. doesn't bother with a hand written letter - you'd be suprised how many employers chuck such applications directly into File 13.

For such posts, its an employers market, however it's a shame that most employers can't be bothered to resort to honesty and integrity when responding to applications.

NDW
20th Dec 2010, 19:31
I also received the dreaded email this morning.

Yeh I'm gutten, but as Nik Nak stated its not the end of the world.

I shall not give up!!

Helen49
22nd Dec 2010, 09:31
To add to NikNak

CV NO MORE than 2 pages, they don't wish to read every detail of you and your family!
Brief accompanying letter on quality paper addressed to the correct person (I would suggest the SATCO/ATCM rather than a HR department)
For each previous role, state two or three achievements/contributions in that role and yes, do check for layout, spelling and grammatical errors (those applications tend to go straight in the bin). Jobs in ATC require people who will attend to the detail.
Remember it is the first impression of you that the potential employer will gain. You must impress without trying to be flashy.

Helen