PDA

View Full Version : Private rotary instructor, ab-initio

Arthur Mo
1st Nov 2010, 14:23
Is it a requirement for a ppl(h) course to be done through a recognised flying school, or can a private (presumably unrestricted) FI do a private course?

I would like my kid to learn, have my own heli and landing point, would be interested in just employing an FI to do lessons from our home? The recent changes removing the requirement for training to be done at licensed aerodromes may help here.

Anyone either know about this or, if based in home counties, know someone who could do it?

Arfur

S-Works
1st Nov 2010, 15:46
As far as I know it has to be done through a school from a licensed field/helipad. I seem to recall the licensed field exemption maybe for fixed wing only but I stand to be corrected. I also seem to recall as each helicopter is a type rating the school has to be a minimum of an FTO rather than just and RTF.

BillieBob
1st Nov 2010, 17:40
JAR-FCL 2.125(a) - An applicant for a PPL(H) shall complete at a FTO or an accepted registered facility the required instruction in accordance with the syllabus as set out in Appendix 1 to JAR–FCL 2.125.

In any case, would your home landing site meet all of the requirements of Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 2.125? For example, does it "Have available a means of air/ground communications acceptable to the Authority"?

Arthur Mo
1st Nov 2010, 23:59
Interesting - thanks for the reference, that's just what I'm looking for.

Good question for the CAA would be whether, in the case of a 400m private air strip whether no radi is acceptable if exclusive use is determined. Obviously some time also needs to be spent at FISO/ATC facilities to learn proper RT.

A registered facility can, I believe, be an individual licensed to train. But seeing the requirements laid out helps to underline why a full FTO would charge a fair amount for an instructor (even if you have your own a/c), just because of the overheads of compliance.

The trouble is, if an instructor at an FTO is charged out at >£100 inc. VAT for own aircraft use (because I've had those charges in the past!), the whole thing becomes uneconomical, and it works out cheaper to use their a/c.

Arfur