PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship uk by airports for ATC college?

TCR
31st Oct 2010, 22:39
Hi,

Does anyone have any up to date information regarding UK airports/ ATC providers and sponsoring trainees to earn their ATCO license through colleges such as ASTAC?

I have recently visited a small airport in the midlands and was given the impression that such oppurtunities are very rare now and that the majority of trainees self-sponsor?

Thanks in advance

yellowplane
1st Nov 2010, 00:50
you'd be right.. I think... the sponsored route is drying up and the amount of vacancies too..

SS10
1st Nov 2010, 11:39
It is quite rare in the current climate. Unfortunately, airports have their choice of a pool of self sponsorers to choose from, so therefore generally don't pay out all that money to sponsor somebody themselves...

I am one of the 'self-sponsoring trainees' you mentioned. It costs an absolute arm and a leg (best part of £20,000 for basic training and ADI rating) and even then theres no guarantee of a job.

However, if its something you really want to do, it is a way of getting your 'nose in'. It obviously involves a hell of a lot of hard work, initiative and debt, but ultimately at the end of it the plan is you will be doing one of the best jobs in the world...

If you need any further information just give me a PM.

Best of luck.

SS10

ramzan
23rd Apr 2011, 18:57
Hi

Just wanted to ask how you got into ATC?

Whats the best way in other than NATS?

I hoipe you can help

thanks