PDA

View Full Version : Transition from Turboprop to Turbojet

reaz
29th Oct 2010, 21:16
I am desperately trying to move from Turboprop to Turbojet. But this transition looks difficult with the current trend. In order to get a job in turbojet one needs to have significant jet hours!

I don't want to join in Canadian Airlines since the pay is ****ty at the bottom of the ladder. I would prefer any job in Middle East or SE Asia

I have almost 3500 hours with command ratings in Dash-8 aircraft.

Can anyone please suggest me the best way to deal with this issue.

plocsek
30th Oct 2010, 20:37
Hello Reaz,
Try Abu Dhabi Aviation....

J.O.
30th Oct 2010, 22:34
Most of the pilots at the Middle East airlines got there because they first gained experience while earning "****ty" pay. Very few pilots that I've known who've displayed a similar attitude to the one of the OP have made it that far.

Food for thought.

bcflyer
1st Nov 2010, 07:05
If you don't want to work for any Canadian airlines why would you post this in the Canada forum? Maybe you should be posting or even better yet, searching under the Middle East and Far East forums.

Willie Everlearn
2nd Nov 2010, 14:02
I am desperately trying to move from Turboprop to Turbojet. But this transition looks difficult with the current trend. In order to get a job in turbojet one needs to have significant jet hours!

That transition is easier than you think. Of course, if you're trying to get into a company that require previous jet time, then it's more difficult than you think. There are numerous ways to implement a strategy for achieving that end but that too requires the satisfaction and peace of mind within yourself to decide what's best for you and what the best path to achieving that objective, would be. As already suggested, I'd suggest you look to foreign lands by using pilot employment agencies.

I don't want to join in Canadian Airlines since the pay is ****ty at the bottom of the ladder. I would prefer any job in Middle East or SE Asia

Then those are the regions you should be looking toward. Aviation in Canada is an insult to anyone with medium degree of intelligence and a sobering level of education. Unless of course, you can't add 1 + 1 and come up with 2. The love of flying is one thing whilst loving the job of flying is another. Disappointment awaits if you take ANY job just for the sake of hours. What you fly and what environment you fly in is much more important and you need to put a value on whatever level of experience you bring to that job. (It is JUST a job, btw) Guard your loyalty with a suspicious mind. No matter who you work for, trust me, they'd spit you out like a bad taste if they had to and the only one broke and crying in their beer would be you.

I have almost 3500 hours with command ratings in Dash-8 aircraft.

Then maybe you need to look toward a company with a mix of Dash 8s and jets. That way you stand a chance of progression to a jet.

Be prepared. Aviation will be one of your greatest disappointments.

Willie :ok: