PDA

View Full Version : A Question of SCRATCOH

Bennyclub
28th Oct 2010, 19:33
This is a question for for controllers at UK CAA regulated units. How usual is it for SCRATCOH to be considered the norm rather than a maximum limit for controlling hours? Am I right in thinking, for instance, many controllers are expected to work a 10 hour long shift under busy traffic conditions with the obligatory 30 min break every 2 hours? If this is you, or you are worked to other SCRATCOH limits, how do you feel afterward? Is SCRATCOH a step forward to regulate fatigue? Does it get in the way of efficiency? It should be a discussion to better understand the issue. So, please be considerate in your responses.

aluminium persuader
28th Oct 2010, 22:13
When I've been sooping I've generally worked on a principle of 1hr30 on, 30 off (min, an hour if I can do it). If you push it to 2hrs you have nothing in reserve and Murphy's Law says that it's at that point when it becomes just too busy to handover, someone needs the loo and someone gets an urgent call from the school.
Fatigue is in itself a slightly different call. Obviously there is the SRATCOH minimum, but you also have to consider that people become fatigued at different rates and at different traffic levels, and that even sitting in front of a blank screen is tiring. Having that extra flex in the system allows you to give a longer break where it may be needed.
As for efficiency - rested controllers are efficient controllers!

ap

chevvron
29th Oct 2010, 09:17
I believe NATS try not to stretch it to 2hrs OD whereas a certain other ATS provider (so I'm told) files 'variations' ie SRATCOH 'busts' almost every day at some of its units.

Arkady
29th Oct 2010, 09:27
During the day at Swanwick we work to a local agreement called "enhanced relief" that means a maximum of 90 minutes plugged in before a thirty minute break. This limit is often reached during the summer months but we are still well short of a SCRATCOH bust.

Roffa
29th Oct 2010, 14:29
Not all Swanwick positions are enhanced relief attracting i.e. max 90 minutes.

A number in the TC ops room are not and it is not unusual to go over 90 minutes on those positions.

Arkady
30th Oct 2010, 10:24
I find that surprising. All AC positions are enhanced relief at some point of the day. Or are you talking about co-ordinator positions?

Bennyclub
30th Oct 2010, 12:59
Thanks for the feedback, especially from the NATS people. I guess a bit of local management on the 2 hour limit is the norm and this seems sensible. Is anyone expected to work up to the 10 hour maximum period for a shift with the minimum 12 hour break in between? Or does anyone have any other SCRATCOH issues they would like to discuss. Some more non-NATS replies would help set the wider picture regarding how ANSPs apply their working time requirements.

Roffa
30th Oct 2010, 16:02
I find that surprising. All AC positions are enhanced relief at some point of the day. Or are you talking about co-ordinator positions?

Don't know about the area side, but on approach there are both radar and support positions that are not enhanced relief attracting.

30th Oct 2010, 16:59
I understand that London Terminal controllers have asked for dispensation to work 4 hour stints because it is relatively quiet. Is this true?

Roffa
30th Oct 2010, 18:09
With certain provisos there's a dispensation to do four hours on nights.

Personally I'm working as hard as I ever have during the day so don't see why the question would want to be asked in that respect.

Or was there a hint of sarcasm in the question?

Brian 48nav
30th Oct 2010, 18:24
Nice one SJ - enjoy your retirement - mind you make sure 'she who must be obeyed' gives you a break after 90 mins.

30th Oct 2010, 20:41
Definitely no sarcasm! I like to promote a debate where possible. This "hours" thing is too rigid....it should encompass common sense and flexibility. Some days an hour and a half on a continuously-busy sector [especially Terminal Control] can be a killer.....on other days two hours can be a breeze. This'll make you laugh, you too "Brian"........when I was at Benbecula it was a one-man station and I did five and a half days plus callouts [overtime slips to prove it]......now it has several controllers to handle the four planes a day [a lot fewer than I had]. I went back for a visit a couple of years ago; one controller spoke to the inbound aircraft and handed over to the other controller who did the outbound leg......this'll double you up with mirth.....the inbound acknowledged the ATIS, and the controller who had only that one aircraft advised the pilot that the information had changed and told him to get the new one.
Back to the point, which is.....one size does NOT fit all.

Brian 48nav
31st Oct 2010, 11:25
Did your visit include Stornoway? Be interesting to know movements/no. of controllers there now.
I can recall knocking up 3 weeks without a day off, due to ambulance flights etc on a Sunday.The best thing about a call-out on a Sunday was getting Loganair to fetch the Sunday papers.
I must have been called out twice on a Sunday on one occasion,because I can remember sitting in the smallest room in the house reading the Sunday Times when Scottish Sup' called,and the boss had to tell him to hang on while I finished!