PDA

View Full Version : Heading bug in the cruise

reverserunlocked
26th Oct 2010, 16:00
Chaps, once you're off radar headings and into LNAV, what happens with the heading bug? Do you move it to follow the new course every time the aircraft makes a turn? I know in some aircraft the bug vanishes once in LNAV mode until HDG is re-selected, but this was just bugging me.

eckhard
26th Oct 2010, 16:25
Normally keep it lined up with the actual hdg.

For one thing, you can see where it is in case you need it.
You might need it to avoid CBs.
When you're back on radar or ADS-B surveillance, ATC might give you a vector.

Just looks neater!

747-400

Capt Claret
26th Oct 2010, 16:25
717 the HDG bug disappears once in NAV unless a HDG or TRK is preselected, at which time the HDG/TRK bug becomes a hollow bow tie and sits there until activated, or NAV is pressed again, which makes it disappear.

Doodlebug
26th Oct 2010, 18:37
On the GLEX the heading bug stays on the display once we're 'magenta' and we keep it lined up. Always ready to hop back into HDG mode that way and, yes, neater, just part of keeping all the ducks in a row.

dwshimoda
26th Oct 2010, 19:10
B757.

Keep it aligned with the actual heading of the aircraft as part of my (very) regular scan.

Makes it simple if ATC asks you to maintain heading or adjust to x degrees left or right. Also, you can just hit Heading Select as well as Heading Hold.

(We're heading up by the way - I know some operators are track up, so it could make a difference)

Exaviator
26th Oct 2010, 23:28
Always kept aligned on the "Classic" to prevent un-commanded bank and heading change because with any failure of a Nav Selection the A/P automatically tripped back to HDG mode. :ok:

Capt Claret
27th Oct 2010, 04:36
Nav failure in the 71 results in current HDG being held & annunciated. An instruction to maintain current HDG just requires pushing the HDG knob, whereas to select a pre-selected HDG/TRK requires the same knob be pulled.

Capt - Chaos
27th Oct 2010, 04:47
Keep it aligned.... bad info is WORSE than no info

spring222
27th Oct 2010, 08:14
In airbus the hdg bug (which bugs you) disappears in managed mode(NAV mode) and updates accordingly automaticaly:ok:

con-pilot
27th Oct 2010, 21:03
Always placed on the current aircraft's heading. Later generation aircraft that I flew, had a 'Heading' syn button that with a push of the syn button aligns the heading bug to the aircraft's heading.

Which when you're bored to death on long over water legs, gives you something to do.

galaxy flyer
27th Oct 2010, 22:39
In the left seat, I sync the HDG bug. In the right, I sync it twice, then it is the left seat pilot's decision. Some guys like it sync'd, some don't.

GF

Denti
28th Oct 2010, 08:03
As pilot flying (on automatics), it is my responsibility to keep it synched and i do so, as pilot monitoring i keep it in synch whenever i have the MCP (PF hand flying or temporarily off), but not when the other one is flying on automatics and the MCP is his. No automatic synching in the 737, something even our basic flight school aircraft could do on the push of a button (cheyenne III).

INLAK
30th Oct 2010, 05:04
Having to update the bug during the cruise is one of my pet-peeves, especially after transitioning from and Airbus to a Boeing type. :rolleyes:
Personally, I prefer to keep it in TRK, rather than HDG. Therefore it only needs to be updated once during a cruise leg between waypoints, ignoring HDG changes due to wind.

Luckyguy
30th Oct 2010, 19:21
It's hard work flying a Boeing isn't it ? Having to move the HDG bug occasionally. Phew, reaching over/around that control wheel, it's a stress, eh?
JOKE !
I prefer to keep it aligned with actual HDG, for the reasons described above, but also, because if there is a significant change in actual heading, it gives me an appreciation of what the wind is doing, rather than having to stare at the wind arrow. I find it just helps with situational awareness.

There's a thousand ways to skin a cat though !