PDA

View Full Version : ATCO pay in Non-NATS' world

tonialmeida
26th Oct 2010, 13:42
Would any of you be able to provide any guidance (even if just a rough estimate) of what an ATCO would be making in the TWR of a non-NATS airport? (e.g. any of those managed by MAG: Manchester, East Midlands, Humberside, etc.; or any other provider).

Just trying to get an idea of the figures we are talking about - I can find a lot of info on "public ATCO's" (e.g. those employed by the state such as in NATS, ENAV, DFS, AENA, etc.) but nothing on the "private side".

Thank you very much to all

MancLad993
26th Oct 2010, 13:46
Only a small point Manchester ATC is provided by NATS.

BigDaddyBoxMeal
26th Oct 2010, 16:50
Only a small point Manchester ATC is provided by NATS.

True, the other 3 MAG airports aren't though. Makes you wonder why they bother with NATS at EGCC?!

I have heard that there are 3 airports outside of NATS that a NATS band 2 ATCO could go to without noticing too much difference at the end of each month.... EGNX, EGNT and EGGP. May have just been a vicious rumour though :E

tonialmeida
26th Oct 2010, 22:00
Many thanks - didn't know about Manchester...

And do you know any approximate figures? To be honest, this is more of a benchmarking exercise - I've been selected to participate in the first private ATCO training programme to be given in Spain (previously all courses were sponsored by AENA, our equivalent to NATS), there will be 2 more, and we will be finishing our course on or about May/June, so hopefully by then we may start looking for a job as ATCO in a tower.

This is why I was asking, to try to get a rough figure of non-NATS pay, which would be the most equivalent thing I can think of - to try to get a more clear idea of how my life will look like. Once we get the job, in principle we would be fully operative ATCOs (following a short tower specific training), not sure where this leaves me in terms of your bands... But if any could throw in any figure of what they are getting in these non-NATS airports (eg. EGNX, EGNT, EGGP or any other), would really really appreciate it - as broad the estimate would be.

Thank you very much all, acknowlege asking about salary is somehow rude, but really need some guidance, so really appreciate any input :O

Stoffel_KT
27th Oct 2010, 10:23
Hey,

nothing regarding to the pay scales or anything like that....

Just wanted to tell you one thing.
I guess you will end your course recieving your student licence and then you will have to find a further training position on your own don't you?
Just wanted to say, this might be different in tower environment though, I have my student licence with an Area Control Surveillance rating and a Radar endorsment. I have been trying to get a new training position to get my full validation all over the world but I have not been able to recieve one possitive respons. All I can do is recommence my training all the way from scratch with 2 ANSP's, besides those 2 a lot of them did not even give a respons or it was mostly negative.

But like I said, this might be a different thing in Tower environment.
So not wanting to scare you, but it might be worth checking those things out a bit in advance....

Best of luck!

tonialmeida
27th Oct 2010, 21:17
Thanks a lot Stoffel - in principle we should be ok to go once completed the course, but all those details shall be given to us in writing before paying for the course, sure! thanks for the warning, and really wish you good luck too!