PDA

View Full Version : Obstacle data

PT6A
25th Oct 2010, 08:35
Obstacle data

Does anyone have a source for obstacle data covering Indonesia?

It seems their AIP does not have any information at all, where have the reputable airlines operating in and out of the country obtained their data?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PT6A

PE_Strand
25th Oct 2010, 12:30
We have used the Type A AOC's in the AIP together with topographical charts to get the obstacle data we need. If you cannot find them in the AIP, make sure that those charts are part of your current subscription. Some countries have a bad habit of putting those in special subscriptions.

Hope this helps.

mutt
25th Oct 2010, 17:51
reputable airlines operating in and out of the country obtained their data? By going there and carrying out a site survey :):)

Mutt

john_tullamarine
25th Oct 2010, 22:39
Things are improving as technology improves (eg the capability of stereo satellite imaging) but, at the end of the day, it is a Sherlock Holmes and getting your hands dirty sort of exercise.

Be aware that Type A charts are not adequate for most aircraft as they can leave you too low too far out ... some of the two motor machines can take a LONG way to get to 1500ft net (something in the order of 45-50nm is not unheard of). Furthermore, if you need a turn or two, then you are on your own (except where you have the occasional Type A which incorporates a standard/required turn).

The usual topos are a bit on the inaccurate side unless they are used just to confirm that nothing is there .. and, even then, how much reliance can you place on them without going out and having a look ? We have all seen plenty of significant elevation errors in topos.

Even published runway charts can contain gross errors which slip past the drafting and checking process. Although I can't recall the aerodrome and detail now (long time ago), we had a good example years ago in Oz where a chimney stack was/was not included in the splay when the reverse was required.

PT6A
31st Oct 2010, 04:28
Thanks for the replys so far.

The issue came about as I am at a company here doing some training, and I noticed their RTOW charts dont contain any obstacle data at all.

Of course, this makes them not really worth the paper they are printed on, the company has informed me that they have been unable to obtain the said information.

So i'm trying to assist them, the AIP only contains *some* data for the major airports, but the airline in question flys to many airports for which no data is published.

Is there any company out there that takes on this kind of task for areas of the world that are not fully charted?

PT6A

aterpster
31st Oct 2010, 07:58
PT6A:

Is there any company out there that takes on this kind of task for areas of the world that are not fully charted?

Airport Performance Group:

http://www.apg.aero

and

Jeppesen

How complete either of them are is open to conjecture.

As John says, getting on site with the correct equipment is the only fool-proof method, and even that is problematic without repeated surveys at fairly short intervals.

Ops_Room_Junkie
5th Nov 2010, 10:39
Not sure if this may be of any use direct or non direct.
It was sent to me recently and apart from a very quick sniff around I have not used it, I think it is more use for topography rather than obstacles but might provide a road to another source idea?

http://srtm.usgs.gov/

aterpster
5th Nov 2010, 14:07
Ops Room Junkie:

Not sure if this may be of any use direct or non direct.
It was sent to me recently and apart from a very quick sniff around I have not used it, I think it is more use for topography rather than obstacles but might provide a road to another source idea?

Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (http://srtm.usgs.gov/)

Those are moderate resolution topographical data (generally 1:250,000) obtained from the year 2000 Space Shuttle mapping mission. Although, an improvement for many parts of the world, those data do have holes in them and certainly do not map obstacles to the detail required for a takeoff flight path analysis.

Thus far, the only method that really works is highly competent on-site survey from the airport out to a considerable distance.

Pilots are routinely taking off from many parts of the world with incomplete obstacle data for takeoff flight path computations.

Ops_Room_Junkie
5th Nov 2010, 15:18
pretty much as I said/guessed then really.
Thanks for taking the time to look, I still haven't had time :sad: