PDA

View Full Version : "The new regime" - licensing question

Free to choose
23rd Oct 2010, 14:29
Hello.

I understand the licensing goes onto the EASA system in 2012, and i'm well aware of the issues affecting FAA licensed pilots living and flying in the EU. (I'm one of them!) I also have one of the old CAA PPL's from when i first started flying 19 years ago. I understand that EASA are not giving these licenses "grandfather" rights because there was no rad nav element in the training and all holders of these antiquated and very "non european" licenses must convert to a JAR license which will then be able to convert to an EASA one. Now, bear with me, i did an IMC rating on that old PPL, so could i just apply for a JAR PPL? and paying the fee of course. I know the IMC rating will be defunct, but it shows i did rad nav training which should tick the boxes for the JAA license. Also i have not used the CAA license for several years so will i have to go and have some retraining and a proficiency test before i can get the JAR piece of paper?
One final question, can i use my FAA CPL/IR to at least get a EASA PPL when the time comes? I'm not fussed about the multi/IR, just a basic SEP PPL or will there be tests & expense just to manage that??
Please let me know what FACTS (no opinions please) you know about this; I was rather hoping the CAA will write us all a letter explaining the options and due process like any gentlemanly organisation would, however that seems to have gone out the window along with common sense and fairness it seems.
Thank u.

peter272
23rd Oct 2010, 22:25
The CAA have

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/62/srg_l&ts_EuropeanLegislation_ExpectedEffectOnUKPilots_Sept2010.pdf

Free to choose
24th Oct 2010, 13:05
The CAA have......File not found. The page you requested does not exist. Thank you for your reply anyway.

Edit to say that after a search its doc 620. After reading through it i'm none the wiser! lol.