PDA

View Full Version : Reus, Spain, for GA

Sam Rutherford
22nd Oct 2010, 15:15
Sorry; in a similar vein to my Paphos email - any feedback on this field for GA friendliness?

Safe flights, Sam.

Radar
22nd Oct 2010, 15:27
Sam,

Operated in there as part of a French organized rally in 2003. From memory, very smooth transit both on arrival and departure. Upon arrival all 20 or so aircraft were fuelled in the minimum of time. Couldn't fault the place ...... or the bodegas down town :):)

What's the plan?

dublinpilot
22nd Oct 2010, 17:43
It's five years since I was there.

No real problems, apart from a dodgy controller. (Three aeroplanes in a large piece of airspace. All three pilots seemed to have a handle on the picture of what everyone else was doing, but the controller seemed to be the only one who didn't understand what was going on!)

Fees were cheap by UK standards.

Return to airside required a flight plan, which had to be stamped by the flight briefing office (they were a bit confused by the fact that I'd filed my own but sorted it out).

Refulling was via a fuel truck that took a little while to arrive, but nothing too long. (Maybe 15 minutes).

dp

Jan Olieslagers
22nd Oct 2010, 18:14
Sorry, not an answer to your question, still it is close:
Sabadell is a nice place. Busy but disciplined flying, and the restaurant is great. Fair number of foreign registrations, at each of my visits (by car...) so they must be used to handle them. Bring a tourist's dictionary, though, either Catalàn or Castilian.

LH2
25th Oct 2010, 18:51
Contrary to previously posted advice, you want to avoid Sabadell if you can. The only time when it might make sense is if you plan to go to Barcelona and can't afford to spend and extra half hour or so on the train, otherwise LEGE or LERS if you need a full-service international airport. If you don't, there are airfields in Igualada and Lleida which might be suitable, or even La Cerdanya (LECD) in the Pyrenees--fuel is available although they might whinge a bit about having to sell it to you. Good eating in town though, and generally much nicer area than Reus, but whether that matters at all depends on what exactly your plans are.

Otherwise, as mentioned, Reus is straightforward, affordable, and has everything you will need. One controller used to be a real tit, I'm not sure if he's still there.

Jan Olieslagers
26th Oct 2010, 13:27
@LH2: as stated, I have never flown to Sabadell, only driven. So I am quite prepared to stand corrected: could you explain WHY Sabadell should be avoided?

LH2
26th Oct 2010, 20:35
Cramped training airfield north of Barcelona. VFR only but they do IR training out of there, somehow. Shortish runway surrounded by obstacles. Horrible "ATC" (it is actually controlled). Full of Top Gun wannabees on the ground (and more worringly, above :uhoh:). Close proximity to LEBL with all the airspace restrictions that entails. Inconvenient transport links from the airfield to anywhere unless involving a taxi or private vehicle.

Just some of the reasons. :bored:

Jan Olieslagers
27th Oct 2010, 15:50
Thanks LH2, you seem to combine everything one should expect either in Southern Europe (some would say Northern Africa...) or from a G/A aerodrome near a main metropolis. Only I wouldn't call a 930m runway shortish. Up till now, nothing really unexpected, but it is good to be warned.

LH2
27th Oct 2010, 18:56
I wouldn't call a 930m runway shortish

Agreed. Neither would I, were it not for the displaced threshold last time I was there, in a twin with not particularly good brakes :uhoh:. I think it was due to work being done on the taxiways or some such so it might be back to normal. Still a Scheißenloch of a place IMO.