PDA

View Full Version : Flying in, or near, Halifax NS

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Oct 2010, 14:02
My crystal ball shows me spending a substantial period of next summer in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Firstly, can anybody recommend a good FBO in that neck of the woods where I can rent something for a bit of private flying.

Secondly, can anybody tell me, or point at the right regulations, for a foreigner who'd like to fly a Canadian registered aeroplane in Canada? If it makes any difference, I have a JAA CPL(SEP), and derivative FAA PPL(SEL).

G

S-Works
22nd Oct 2010, 15:49
My second home. There is no Club GA from Halifax although they are completely welcoming to GA movements. The nearest flying club for rental is up at Debert which is about an hour and half drive from Halifax. They have a range of aircraft mostly 152 and 172 variants. Fantastic club and very welcoming. I have been a member there for years.

Licence wise you can get a 12 month validation of any ICAO licence that will allow you to fly Canadian aircraft. The local office for this is at Halifax Airport. There is a fee to pay but I am not sure what it is as I have a full TC booklet.

There are conversion paths from the FAA that were introduced recently but only from a full FAA certificate not a 61.75.

If there is anything else you need to know PM me. If we are there at the same I can be found in Fall River and can show you some of the local scenery and private strips.