PDA

View Full Version : Harv's air or MFC?

flyingbagel
22nd Oct 2010, 08:49
any comments on Harv's air and MFC regarding the training quality?

i'm considering to have the instructor rating in either of the schools.

Cheers

flash8
22nd Oct 2010, 17:33
I can only speak about Harv's and Adam in particular.

An absolute credit to aviation. This outfit deservedly is pretty popular, and there is a real family feel (which it is :)).

I was made to feel most welcome and will always fondly remember my time there. Some years ago now but I would never say a bad word about them.

Strongly recommended.

KrazyKraut
23rd Oct 2010, 14:40
Flyingbagel,

It's probably not a good idea to discuss whether "school A is better than school B". The reason is that most students/cadets have only ever seen one or two FTOs, and have rarely seen the two being compared. Hence the frequent posts along the lines of "my instructor was the best"... "my school was the best"... With this mind, I'm not inclined to say much about Harv's Air, since I have only heard anecdotal stories about the training there, which may or may not be true.

However, I can speak with some authority about the training at MFC, having been an instructor, an instructor course instructor, examiner, and finally chief flying instructor there. I am currently an airline pilot with a national flag carrier airline, and I work there with others who have trained at MFC. I have also worked in the same capacities at a number of reputable FTOs in several other countries (UK, USA).

I can tell you that MFC's reputation, training quality, safety, professionalism is excellent. If you are looking for a school where you will get your licence and become an airplane operator, there are many out there, and many which are less expensive than MFC. If, on the other hand, you're looking for an organization with considerable expertise in training both individual students and fulfilling large-scale airline training contracts (ab-initio programmes), then the air becomes considerably thinner, so to speak. Therefore, if your goal is to become a competent pilot and one day captain, it's important to make the right choice.

Make sure you go and visit both (or all) places you're interested in, get a feel for the training environment, talk to students and other instructors. Sit in on a training flight, and in the briefing and debriefing. It's time well spent because it will help you make the right decision.

In my considered view, there are certainly other, but not that many other FTOs worldwide which offer a comparable training product in terms of quality and professionalism. Certainly not many in Canada.

KK.

nibi786
24th Oct 2010, 10:36
I think KK has pretty much hit the nail on the head up there! :ok:

HAving been in your very position about two years ago (and I was looking at other places internationally), I am glad I went to MFC for my instructor training.

Before being accused of bias, I want to point out that I reviewed many companies syllabus, and where their grads are today. Also writing this based on the research and my thoughts at the time of application!

Not only is the school internationally recognized, but some of the best instructors are actually working there - actual press releases and awards to prove this. The ground school training you receive there for the instructor rating is delivered with great depth and supersedes most, if not all, other places.

My humble opinion clearly points to MFC, when you make the right choice - you will agree too ;) Feel free to PM

Nibi786 ;) :cool:

downnorth
10th Nov 2010, 13:58
MFC is a good school but they have way too many students and programs.

I know when I was there the Chinese folks seemed to have aircraft booking priority. Bookings needed to be made well in advance and even if you did have a booking there was always a chance you could be bumped.
I know of a few people who left MFC because they had enough...

The weather in Moncton can be awful. I remember one February there was one VFR flying day the entire month. On that day everyone wanted to fly. If you plan on finishing quickly I would stay away from the East Coast, especially during the winter.

I would recommend Perimeter for your IFR. Very good program AND the aircraft are certified for known icing. This means you fly in almost any weather. In my opinion it is a good learning experience flying a full procedure approach down to minimums in actual IFR conditions, in a snow, while picking up ice and dealing with it...

For your private/commercial license I would recommend a smaller less busy school such as Winnipeg Aviation. On most days you could walk in the same day and book an aircraft. The training is very personal and you don't seemed rushed by an instructor who has two dozen students to deal with.

In the end the company where you go for you first job doesn't really care where you did your flight training. I have worked for several large commuter/charter operators and not one gives preference to students from any particular flight school.

Pilot DAR
10th Nov 2010, 22:02
I have no negative comment about MFC, but I sure was impressed with Harv's Air during a recent visit, and subsequently read a write up on Harv's Air which left me even mor eimpressed.

I'd do some research into the prevailing weather in the place of your choosing. Both areas can have undesirable weather, though I'd much rather work around that common to central Manitoba, than New Brunswick.

You also have the potential for some float flying up the road from St. Andrews, in Selkirk. Good luck...

nibi786
13th Nov 2010, 12:11
I think the previous posts mention past training experiences....especially regarding booking.

I know that MFC are now using one of the industries most advanced scheduling systems - pretty unique for a flight college to be doing so!

Everybody has a fair share of flying and the issue of 'bumping' no longer exists. Naturally, Flights that require a certain amount of priority are given them accordingly - but that is very normal at any flight school(I have experience of a fair few). From personal experience, the new scheduling system I mention enhances your time management and organisational skills which is an added benefit in my eyes as a career pilot!

As for weather - go to sunny florida if you want just that! My experiences of flying in the east coast through rain, wind, snow and sun conditions have left me as a well rounded VFR pilot and flying in some of these conditions during a full motion simulator flight didn't leave me to bewildered ;) All in all, a truly unique place to become a well rounded pilot ;)

Safe flyin y'all!

N786