PDA

View Full Version : Controlled Airport - Landing on Grass

Stunty
21st Oct 2010, 16:08
Lets say I have a bush aircaft and I have invested in a set of Alaska Bush wheels.

Arriving and departing from hard surfaces and taxiing on hard surface is murder on these wheels. If I want to go into a controlled airport can I request a landing/departure from grass adjacent to a runway. What about an uncontrolled airport?

In all my travels though CAR's I can't think if anything that specifically approves or disapproves this.

J.O.
21st Oct 2010, 17:52
Your best bet would be to contact the airport operator at your intended destination and pose the question directly. Nothing in the CARs prohibits it but the airport itself may have other ideas.

rotornut
21st Oct 2010, 18:06
Toronto City Centre and Saskatoon (Diefenbaker) let me do helicopter landings on the grass infields. However, fixed wing wheel landings are another matter.

Double Wasp
22nd Oct 2010, 02:03
Lets say I have a bush aircaft and I have invested in a set of Alaska Bush wheels.

Arriving and departing from hard surfaces and taxiing on hard surface is murder on these wheels. If I want to go into a controlled airport can I request a landing/departure from grass adjacent to a runway. What about an uncontrolled airport?

In all my travels though CAR's I can't think if anything that specifically approves or disapproves this.

I know Yellowknife allows it, they even but snow across the taxi ways for straight ski aircraft to come in with enough notice. Contacting the airport operator is the best idea as they will advise you on their preferred procedures as well as let you know of any obtacles, like drainage ditches etc. that may not be on the airport diagram.

DW

Stunty
22nd Oct 2010, 21:57
I dont find it surprising that the bush friendly places up North allow it without question. The populated airports around the Vancouver area seem harder to crack.

Thanks for the replies.

Chuck Ellsworth
23rd Oct 2010, 00:04
Why would any of today's well trained pilots even consider landing on the grass at an airport?

I thought that their instructors would have programmed them to never take any unnecessary risks especially one so dangerous as landing on grass.

jdsmith
23rd Oct 2010, 02:29
when i flew my cub out of Alaska i landed at several.
i either split the 6 runway end lights and landed 10 feet short.
or depending on location of the Tower i just landed on the grass and scooted over for taxi in.
i know this will amaze some of you, this aint nothing compared to
flying in AK for 15 years.
"how's the weather down there" 500 and 2, lower all quadrants.