PDA

View Full Version : Finishing PPL in US - is this viable near the end??

FireDragon
28th Dec 2001, 19:45
Wasn't quite sure where to post this, because a part of it may belong in the medical forum, so if I've choosen the wrong forum, sorry!

Anyway, as I've said in another post, have just got my cross country and skills test to go to get PPL. I've had a break from flying in the past, and don't fancy waiting ages for our weather to improve to get these done.

I've had the offer of a really cheap trip to Florida in January, and have the following two questions to ask members of this board.

1) Due to the price I'd like to take the opportunity to finish my training in the US. Is this feasible, only having these 2 things to do

2) It took me over a year to get my medical in this country, due to my having a rare neurological disorder. (I have the full medical now, with no restrictions). If I go to the US, would I have to take the FAA medical, or is production of the JAA certificate proof enough?

I don't want to be in the position of going over there, and getting into problems if I have to take the FAA medical from scratch, (even though they aren't as stringent as ours).

Any answers on the above are most welcome

FD

Noggin
28th Dec 2001, 21:44
If you wish to fly solo in the US then you will need a FAA Medical certificate. In addition, no school is going to let you go solo without a basic handling check and a navigation checkout. Its quite a bit different in the US, so its going to require more than you think. Best advice is finish it in the UK. I saw a solo X country done today.

If you do deceide to do it in the US, you will have to provide the examiner with evidence of all your UK training and examination passes.