PDA

View Full Version : Porter Airlines

AUTOPILOT2
20th Oct 2010, 21:54
hello guyies
Can anyone tell me what is salary package of Porter Airlines and how is the Monthly Roster? any Interview Gouge will be appreciated...:ok:

EricCartman
31st Oct 2010, 13:46
I'm also wondering how do you become interesting enough to them to hire? Is there a courtship process beyond the basic website and email resume PDF?

Is it reasonable to assume a call with 2500TT 450ME and a fair bit of experience?

My one quirk is that I've been on hiatus from active commercial flying for 10 years. But coming back to the world of glass seems like life only got better and easier, though saturated with information.

altiplano
1st Nov 2010, 11:41
I think your experience is below the minimums they post on the website for FO.

I understand internal references are a big help and significant multi/turboprop/jet etc is prefered.

It can be difficult to get back in the saddle after 10 years out and Porter seems like a pretty cherry job for someone on a tuboprop looking to make an airline move. Might be a tough nut to crack getting back in? Lots of competition... I'd try them of course, but you might want to look toward anything to get you going again - maybe a king air or pilatus sorta thing and build on that.

EricCartman
8th Nov 2010, 11:16
yes, I agree - it is tough - and I am seeking an FBO ish job where I can get some recurrent training on a King Air & Pilatus and be a generally useful local stand by person for such an animal

that is proving to be hard too - though I think (my theory) is that as soon as their is any movement into Jazz / Porter / Air Canada, etc. that should free up some spots in biz aviation

question: is it really bad form to pay for your own 737 / Airbus or even Q400 type rating? (with my day job it is an easy way to add to the resume and also keep my head in the game, though I also hear it is frowned on... any feedback on that would be much appreciated)

altiplano
9th Nov 2010, 20:04
Buying type ratings? Bad form is one way to put it. Just don't do it. It will not help you in this country anyway.

clunckdriver
13th Nov 2010, 16:04
Eric, If you do buy a type rating in Canada I would sugest you buy insurance against two broken legs while you are at it! {Kidding of course, but Im sure you get the drift!}

Willie Everlearn
14th Nov 2010, 22:11
altiplano

I say, do whatever you want to do with your money.
If it's a type rating you want to buy, then do so. (I wouldn't recommend financing it) Don't worry about 'the competition' if you wish to be more competitive.
What do you think the competition would recommend?

Here's the dilemma you face if you do get yourself type rated.
1) If you don't have a partner, you'll have to pay for one in the sim.
2) You'll have no time on type. (other than 32 hr. of sim)
3) If you don't have a similar type, you'll need to go and do three takeoffs and three landings in the aircraft.
4) Many in this country will hold it against you, mostly due to immaturity, envy, and jealousy on their part.
5) If you get on with any carrier in Canada, you'll only have to do the type rating over again, anyway.

So, in your own estimation, how far ahead of the game do you think it would it put you?

Willie :ok:
P.S. the 47 is on my bucket list, even if I have to pay for it.

EricCartman
15th Nov 2010, 12:10
I think I get it: The type rating is for my own fun, ego and whatever small gain I get.

Re: the jealousy / envy I'm not too worried about that, the issue is that I run a business (and have full time since 2000) that really makes it hard for me to stay current - I fly a seaplane a bit, but that's about it.

I miss flying professionally and I'd like to be ready to dive back in should I be able to get part time work and my thought was simply that getting the type rating would keep me fresh on glass and more sophisticated stuff and generally know what is going on.

But I appreciate the heads up re: the negativity on having money and using it for professional development. I'm not sure I understand it, but I'm willing to acknowledge it / deal with it if I run in to it.

As far as doing the type rating a 2nd time upon hire - more than happy to do that since it is likely I'll need it anyway. (Type ratings are tax deductible if you have aviation income from what my accountant tells me and 10% of our business is aviation income.)

So my big question is, if you had 2500 TT / 500 ME and no 12,500 lbs + or turbine time, what type rating would you pay for, if you could pay for any?

(The goal here to get entry level job at FBO or turboprop Part 704 / 705 operator.)

**February 12 2011** Update:

Just got a call from Pinnacle out of KLGA for an interview. I spilled the beans on all the big brother stuff they'll find out anyway: totally not current, older, two moving violations and a 297 FAR 135 that went less than optimally.

them: "no problem.. we want to bring you in"

me: "but I haven't flown in 10 years, I need time, can I push back the interview date & get some sim time in advance?"

them: "not a problem, we have interview slots every mid month.. if we don't call you for April.. then call us please by mid March."

So there you have it - and I still have not purchased the type. My sense is that I'm going to have to pay for some training before any interview vetting (they evaluate you in a sim) and the reason why I got called was that they probably just need people and my 2500TT and 500ME was "good enough" to begin the evaluation process.

clunckdriver
15th Nov 2010, 16:16
Eric, in Canada we just dont want the "Pay to fly"/Multi crew Lic, Pay for PPC crap to take over here, one only has to look at the effects of this to understand why. {By the way, I am an employer and simply trash any CVs that contain any of this stuff, I pay for a pilots training, pay well and in return expect a days work for a days pay} This stuff is right up there with the "Il fly for free bunch" I cant imagine any other industry doing this. I for one want this industry to attract motivated pilots, not those who feel that they are qualified by simply paying there way into a job, my view only, others may not see it this way, but my view is based on experience, after all not even the Brits buy their commisions in the Army these days, thus not as many "Charges of the Light Brigade"!

doo
15th Nov 2010, 18:27
Clunk,
The Brits are buying type ratings, and line training!

clunckdriver
15th Nov 2010, 21:02
Doo, Yes I know that, I just hope our labour laws are able to stop any P2F crap in Canada.

altiplano
16th Nov 2010, 07:31
Willie

I agree that you can do whatever you want with your money. I could really care less I am now sitting in a career job and he is not my competition.

But the guy asked for feedback... from where I sit and what I have observed in attitudes of other drivers over the past decade along the way from 703 to 705 is it's a waste of money and will drive this profession down.

One pays, then 10, then 100 and then Westjet wants everyone to apply with a 37NG rating, Air Canada will only hire guys with 320 ratings and you've got to pay again if you want to move onto a widebody, then you need 500 on type and when Canadians don't fork out for ratings, Europeans and Asians come across and take the spots and the next generation is out of work or $30K poorer... Next thing you know airlines will charge an application fee to apply... It has to stop somewhere and it seems that Canada might be the last line...