PDA

View Full Version : Mil ATCos with civilian ICAO licences?

samotnik
19th Oct 2010, 19:17
Hello, are in your country military ATCos trained and validate for civilian, ICAO licences while still serving their duty? Do they get their OJT and validate at civil ATC units?

BrATCO
19th Oct 2010, 19:39
There are some of fhem working in TWR/APP, around military fields. I think about LFRH, LFRJ in my FIR.

I don't know if they've got a valid civilian licence.

chevvron
20th Oct 2010, 08:45
Not in the UK.

orgASMic
20th Oct 2010, 16:06
USAF controllers get FAA licences, I believe.

Gisajob
26th Oct 2010, 19:07
Some country’s military ATCOs are lucky enough to have their military licenses ratified/approved/whatever by ICAO. (e.g. US & Australia). The UK military authorities have constantly refused to do so.

Worldwide ATC employers can use military rated ICAO approved ATCOs in certain places but the disadvantaged Royal Air Force ATCOs are not ICAO recognized and thus have been prevented from applying for these posts due to the fear within RAF ATC command that this would lead to ATCO migration. This is not true of course, as all it does is to prevent RAF ATCOs who leave the RAF at the end of their engagement from using their experience to get further employment. Time for a change ??

BDiONU
27th Oct 2010, 19:16
With the UK SDR imposing swingeing cuts on the RAF I don't imagine it'll be long before Mil ATC are amalgamated with Fighter Controllers and withdrawn from Swanwick and Prestwick to work down in the bunkers. Huge savings on the contract with NATS for services supplied and the potential to swell the ranks of the FC world with some 'free' labour. What are the chances of MOD wanting to do the work to 'give' Mil ATCOs (if they retain such a title) civilian equivalent licences?

BD

subber
28th Oct 2010, 10:16
In Sweden miliary ATCs get all the civilian ratings and actually take all the courses with civilians. The only difference being a couple of more months training for the military part. I'm currently undergoing this training (though I will be starting the ATC part in January)

StoffeA
28th Oct 2010, 21:57
Subber isn't quite correct in what he is saying. I have undergone a civil ATC education with extra training to handle military traffic because almost all of our military traffic share aerodromes with civil traffic.

But we also have pure MIL ATCO's that lead fighters to contact and in missions. They have a totally different education which i'm not at liberty to discuss on this forum i belive :)

subber
31st Oct 2010, 17:24
Of course, however the "pure" military ATCs aren't actually ATCs in that capacity (except leading fighters in battle) since you won't find them in towers leading takeoffs, or in area control (civil or military). Therefore the "normal" military ATC do get the civilian ratings. I don't know how it is in other countries though, I may have misunderstood what kind of ATCs you were talking about :)