PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar 150 Eng shutdown enroute NZCH-YSSY

sierra5913
19th Oct 2010, 06:46
A320 Landed safely rwy16R 4:26pm (05:26z).

411A
19th Oct 2010, 06:49
Shock---Horror....not.:ugh:

Biggles78
19th Oct 2010, 13:45
Up to your usual high quality with illuminating info......NOT!! :yuk:

Offchocks
19th Oct 2010, 16:28
Good job done by the crew, but I have to agree with 411A, it is not earth shattering news unless you live in OZ aviation!

prospector
20th Oct 2010, 06:16
" it is not earth shattering news unless you live in OZ aviation!"

Or you were one of the passengers onboard a single engined aircraft with nothing but water in sight!!!!

Mr Pilot 2007
20th Oct 2010, 06:46
Originally Posted by 411a

It is not surprising 411a has 8141 posts to his credit with remarks as pointless as the above.
I dont know why he trolls the D&G forum.

Jet engines do not fail that regularly. I would rather not be down to one engine with 1.5 hours to fly over the Tasman.

The original poster just stated a fact, no BS comments from paxs about how they thought they were going to die, etc.

" it is not earth shattering news unless you live in OZ aviation!"

Or you were one of the passengers onboard a single engined aircraft with nothing but water in sight!!!!

Agreed.

If it happened on a regular basis, you may prefer to fly with another airline.

Bootstrap1
20th Oct 2010, 07:29
But hang on a minute. This was a Qantas group aircraft not maintained by Qantas but JHAS and Jetstar. Surely the media should be all over it like a cheap suit coming up with absolute crap for a story.

Anyway the engine is being changed, by Jetstar at a Qantas hangar. It seems Jetstar is moving into the Jetbase sooner rather than later. Not sure what happened to it but the fan is locked rock solid. Nice bit of drag

teresa green
20th Oct 2010, 10:50
Just be aware folks that the SMH today on their website is asking PAX to ring in with their "OMG I thought I was going to die stories". Sigh.

Capt Kremin
20th Oct 2010, 21:05
They do that with every incident now. :yuk:

SweetnLow
21st Oct 2010, 04:33
Isn't wonderful to see journalism at its best when it comes to aviation incidents in Australia. I'm so glad that our government provides HECS for students of journalism so that they can impress the public with their spirited, accurate portrayal of events. But the government (regardless of how many perfunctory white papers they produce and say 'good job we're looking afer aviation in our country') can't bring themselves to develop HECS for our future generations of pilots. And last time I checked, journalists are not responsbile for anywhere from 10 lives to 480 lives. But gee, lets continue to ask the public the hard hitting 'tell me your scare story' questions...

airtags
21st Oct 2010, 11:47
Actually the average F/O gets more than most journalists ever will see.... not an excuse for tabloid wars but ....

Reality of aviation news coverage:
1. Airline says nothing or denies
2. Journalist has intell (usually from airline staff)
3. Incident or occurrence is undeniable
4. Airline sticks head in sand or trots out Z grade media comment
5. Smart journo (not too many of these) gets facts - majority though in the absence of any real info from Airline has to play best guess
6. Punters & ppruners then play jounos and cliche circus starts
7. Story escalates
8. restart procedure at item 1.

On record - pilots are often just as bad as airlines when it comes to getting our story across. The lesson is if you are controlling the flow of authorative information you control the media game.

Sidebar Story: Melb & Syd trains have better OTP than QF/JQ & DJ - & there are at least 3 deaths each week on NSW & VIc railway tracks. Bit more substance than the 320 landing eh!

AT
:E

Grundoon
21st Oct 2010, 22:53
Here's a new twist: Flight attendants 'in tears' after loud bang - National - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10682265)

...crying FA's taking turns looking out the window and scaring the pax.

Goat Whisperer
22nd Oct 2010, 12:28
...but will it have an effect on the fleet's ETOPS capability...?

mrs nomer
22nd Oct 2010, 21:18
...but will it have an effect on the fleet's ETOPS capability...?

One event in isolation is not likely to affect an ETOPS approval. It would need more systemic maintenance issues (ie non compliance) on an operator's part to cause a regulator to act.

Flt.Lt Zed
22nd Oct 2010, 21:34
Grundoon
If you read feedback on this article in Xtra news you would find reports from two other passengers on the flight that they were fully informed and that it was handled professionally. No FAs crying etc.Thats why the story took 3 days to find its way into the press.

standard unit
22nd Oct 2010, 21:51
The QF spin doctors imply via the report that the flight deck handled the incident professionally.

They deny knowing whether or not the flight attendants were crying............................

Flt.Lt Zed
22nd Oct 2010, 23:25
S.U. you are quite correct... but two other PASSENGERS on the flight reported professional handling and no tears.

LetsGoRated
23rd Oct 2010, 00:35
"Some of the stewardesses were up the back in tears and kept moving past passengers to look at the engines...and I think that worried some people."

From what I've seen lately, this assertion appears entirely plausible.

Just wait till the new low time PILOTS get on board after spending mummy and daddies coin to get a job. No merit based system here. No Sir, the bright young aspirants will be relegated by spoilt brats with the entitlement mantra. The paying public shall then not be surprised when the sh#t hits the fan, the low time brat sitting up the front bursts into tears!! Which of course is entirely plausible.
:=

sierra5913
24th Oct 2010, 06:24
Sorry people, I put the thread in the wrong section.

I thought it was newsworthy. Engine shutdowns on a twin esp over the tasman aren't a daily occurrence.

Quite surprised the Aussie media didn't touch it. If it was Qantas though, I expect they would have been all over it.

Mr Pilot 2007
24th Oct 2010, 08:15
Quite surprised the Aussie media didn't touch it. If it was Qantas though, I expect they would have been all over it.

Hmmm, Do the media and passengers expect it with budget airlines?.

sierra5913
24th Oct 2010, 10:40
I guess the media and the public in general have a very high expectation of Qantas. Qantas does also play off on its safety record.

It stand to reason why the media make a full blown event involving QF, even if an aircraft blows a tyre.