PDA

View Full Version : First solo

Adam1919
17th Oct 2010, 19:22
Hi everyone,

I have had a quick look for a thread on this but could not find one, so hope any readers do not mind me asking the following:

I have done so far 13.5 hrs and now doing 'circuit-bashing', everything seems to be coming on ok. All my climbs/descents/turns/stalls are up to scratch and my circuits are ok (just got to master the right point to flare but getting there).

I am wondering about anyones views on the averge number of hours students go solo on their circuits? I have heard some wild suggestions of anywhere between 6 and 30 hrs!!! Not sure what to believe.

I am flying 3-4 times per month and making steady progress. I would be greatful of anyones, helpful, views:

If any reader, who holds a PPL, and does not have time to go into detail or give me any specific thoughts your hour you went solo and also how many months it took you to pass your PPL. If provding the latter how often you flew would be useful.

In addition any views on tackling the next section of the syllabus would be really useful, but as I say only if you have time and want to help me.

All helpful responses really appreciated.

Adam

hvogt
17th Oct 2010, 19:52
Adam,

I am at the end of my integrated CPL training now. According to my flight school's syllabus the first solos are to be flown after six flights of 1:45 h each and a check flight of 0:30 h, i.e. after 11:00 h total time. I did my first solo after 10:08 h and had 41 landings at that time.

Comparing these figures with your 13:30 h, and having in mind that you only fly 3-4 times a month during PPL training, I must say you seem to be a fast learner.

dan_vector
17th Oct 2010, 20:14
Hi Adam,

I'm a fellow PPL student and have completed 19.5 hrs and started the navigation.

I solo'd at 12.6hrs and have now logged 2.8 hrs solo (P1) circuits. My first flight was on 17/08/10 and my solo on 18/09/10.

Good luck and don't stress about it as it will happen when everything is ready.

Regards,
Dan.

MichaelJones
17th Oct 2010, 20:25
Hey Adam,

I recently flew solo on the 10/10/10 (Lucky day) after 13 hours flying.

I was 16 in August and I wanted to complete it as close to my birthday as
I could however bad weather dragged it on a few months.

It's said that reaching solo flight in under 2hrs is good and anything under 15hrs is very good.

In my opinion it does all depend on the conditions etc because if I didnt fly on the
days which I had bad weather then the time it took me to fly solo would have been
reduced but any flying is good flying so even if it does take you more than 15 hours
to solo you have probably gained alot of experience out of it.

Michael

mad_jock
17th Oct 2010, 20:35
A an instructor between 6 and 30 hours is about right to be honest. There are so many variables that comes into play.

SupaMach
17th Oct 2010, 20:36
Ex int. student and solo'd at 14 hours, as scheduled. The only time it changes is if someone needs extra hours.

Sounds like you are making good progress.

& for "dan_vector", where are you flying from?
I'm from down that way!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Oct 2010, 20:54
I am in the same groove as Mad Jock, as an instructor there are a fair few variables.

Quite a few people seem to get hung up on how many hours it took them to go solo, but to be honest, it really is not important.

When people suggest they went solo in 7 or 8 hours in a bragging fashion, I would always ask the question, how thoroughly were the lessons taught? You have to remember that exercise 12 and 13 are circuits. From my own experience, students would solo anything from 10 hours to 30 hours. If you have a student that flies every day, and is lucky with the weather, they will solo far quicker than someone who flies once a week, and is unlucky with the weather.

In terms of your stratergy for the rest of the course, I would try to be ahead of the game. Read the books, get your instructor to brief lessons on rainy days and take everything on board and really prepare for those lessons. It will make it so much easier for you, when you come to fly the detail.

With regard to your question about how long it takes to complete a PPL, it depends on the individual. I have seen 3 months to 2 years. It all depends on the person, learning ability, commitment, flying frequency, natural ability, and the list goes on.

Dont get too hung up on the above, just enjoy it, its such good fun.

All the best and enjoy your course.

CAT 3C.

kumbaya
17th Oct 2010, 21:01
Did it in 11:00, according to my integrated programme.
Some guys did it in 20:00.......no sweat if it takes you longer !
You'll get there, and i'm sure you're first solo landing will be better than mine :ok:

mad_jock
17th Oct 2010, 21:18
I might add i was sent solo in 6 hours and it wasn't until I did my FIC that I realise how much I had not done before solo. So completely understand where CAT III is coming from with what did the instructor miss out.

Now I have sent folk solo in under 10 hours but they are the exceptions. And everything has to go like clock work for it to happen. Did they turn out better pilots than the guys that need more time?. Usually not to be honest you usually find that the ones that are poo hot at handeling couldn't find there arsehole with a map and compass. And the ones that the basic handeling took a bit longer to bed in found Nav to be a walk in the park.

Most folk think wanging around the sky is the be end of everything being a pilot. Its not actually, the having the mental understanding and capacity to not have to need **** hot handling skills even if you do have them is the sign of a good pilot.

Learn it properly the first time, it is the foundations for the rest of your life.

dan_vector
18th Oct 2010, 07:13
Hi SupaMach. I'm flying from Compton Abbas EGHA. Wonderful flying club with excellent instructors. Loving every minute so far!!
Regards.

FleetFlyer
18th Oct 2010, 09:06
4.5 hours to solo on microlights though with some previous on gliders though a few years before. Didn't complete the PPL that time though when I got back in the saddle 12 years later it only took 6.5 hours to solo.

Bear in mind that your time to solo is down to three things: Your competency, the weather (i.e. your currency, how often you can fly) and your instructor's comfort level with sending students solo. Some are fine with it if they think you are ready, others will keep you dual for as long as possible to be absolutely certain that you are ready. Most fall in between.

It may be that you really aren't ready but if you are convinced that you are being held back unecessarily there is nothing wrong with asking for a hop with a different instructor to get second opinion. I did exactly this when gliding and soloed after a 5 minute check out with a more senoir instructor than my regular one.

Flying is an expensive thing to learn. Its your money, and there's nothing wrong with questioning (politely!) those who are providing your training.

FleetFlyer
18th Oct 2010, 09:17
Also -the trick to flaring at the right time is to be looking in the right direction. Look at the far end of the runway, not the bit nearest to you.

If you have a flight sim at home to practice on it may help reduce the amount of airtime you need to get this nailed. I've used sims at many points of my training to get past sticking points. Sure, the 'feel' might not be there but if you do everything else as if it were for real (i.e. checks, radio calls, flaps, carb heat, mixture) and get good at it, then you'll find that the real thing will be easier as the practice will have given you spare mental capacity to use on the things that you aren't so good at.

Good luck. Your first solo will be the best thing that will ever happen to you in flying.

mad_jock
18th Oct 2010, 09:22
Don't use a flight sim for the flare.

Its a 2D simulation of a 4D enviroment. When I say 4D the 4th dimension is mother nature.

The trick with the flare is to try and not land with the power off. Also have a look at the attitude your instructor lands at when you get to that attitude hold it while wiggling the rudder pedals.

Then in a loud clear voice say "get down you whore"

Do that three times and off solo you go.

Adam1919
18th Oct 2010, 10:32
Many thanks everyone for all the info and advice, really helpful.

A few of you have touched on the flare an just wondered if anyone else could share their tips for getting this right. My problem is I am flaring too early (not juding when to squeeze the stick right/pull back) and when I do I am pulling back too much. Any tips on how to get this right would really help me i.e where best to focus your vision at what point/slow the sink rate right down

Thanks again everyone.

Adam

jaycee46
18th Oct 2010, 10:54
Adam
First solo August 04 after about 20 hours - I struggled with the flare too -, Qualifying cross country (QXC) - last Saturday! Not maybe the longest PPL in history, but probably getting there!
As others have rightly said, you will never forget your first solo, but for sheer satisfaction, the QXC is right up there too. Being held up for nearly an hour by two separate airport emergencies (Prestwick) certainly kept the adrenalin pumping!

Mad Jock - we flew a couple of weeks ago. Well QXC done now - thanks for your help!

mad_jock
18th Oct 2010, 11:00
:ok: build up time then for the test.

I don't think you will have any problems with a wee bit of polish.

Ps I really enjoyed doing that sortie should be back up north in 5 weeks.

Juno78
18th Oct 2010, 14:24
Adam, have a look for my thread "Stuck in the circuit", there's a lot of helpful advice from various people in there. I got to solo at around, I think, 24 hours or so, around 15/16 of which were circuit-bashing, whilst flying once every two or three weeks. I've now done two hours of solo circuits, and am about ready to start going further afield as soon as the weather starts behaving... :D

EDIT here it is, to save you looking http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/422375-stuck-circuit.html - looks like I was closer to 26 hours by the time I went solo.

minimad
18th Oct 2010, 14:28
Adam

In response to your original post, I went solo after around 22 hrs because of poor conditions. My instructor progressed me onto the advanced flying while I was waiting for the right conditions. Regarding your flare I tend to look at the far end of the runway like others have already stated. I did some circuits the other day, and promptly f****d it all up! But Hey Ho! you've gotta try and learn from what you did wrong. You'll get there in the end ;) anyway happy flying. And good luck with your training!

DeeCee
18th Oct 2010, 17:32
A couple of things; I went solo unexpectedly when I was sent off by an instructor I hadn't flown with before. I think it was well over 12 hours - something like that anyway. Slightly numb with shock I did the pre takeoff checks twice (just to be sure) and really enjoyed it. Take your time and enjoy it as well.

Regarding the flare, I think we have all had trouble with this, but the best bit of advice I had was when a new Instructor said when we were on late final 'you are leaving it late and then having to rush sorting out the flare'. After that I rounded out more gradually and let the aeroplane settle level and it went well after that. I hope that makes sense. Have fun.

The500man
19th Oct 2010, 12:15
My problem is I am flaring too early (not juding when to squeeze the stick right/pull back) and when I do I am pulling back too much. Any tips on how to get this right would really help me i.e where best to focus your vision at what point/slow the sink rate right down

I wouldn't worry about how many hours you've done. With commitment you'll fly solo sooner or later.

You've not mentioned what aircraft you're flying, but to avoid over flaring one of my instructors suggested to me to move the yoke back in stages. So when you get to the point you wish to begin levelling out, move the yoke back slightly then stop and hold it there, wait for the aircraft to change attitude, then move it back again, wait, then again etc. You'll find the changes get closer and closer together and you'll always land on the main gear. You should look at the end of the runway as this will give you an idea of sink rate and direction (if there is a cross wind).

The reason for doing it this way is that you'll likely maintain a low sink rate and you'll see the change your control input has made to the attitude of the aircraft before changing that input. It should also stop you over-controlling.

I'm not an instructor but this certainly helped me when I was learning.

Also making sure you have the right approach speed over the threshold and that your approach is stable and on the centre line will only make things easier nearer the ground.

I've always found the wing down method easier than a crab approach simply because you've less work to do during the flare but this could vary depending on what you're flying.

Best of luck. I'm sure you'll be flying solo in no time!

mur007
19th Oct 2010, 18:03
you will never forget your first solo, but for sheer satisfaction, the QXC is right up there too

For me the QXC was a much bigger deal than 1st solo. 1st solo was over and done with in a flash - the qxc was much longer and more challenging and is still the longest solo flight (added together) I have done - although I'm hoping to change that stat in the not too distant future. I got my licence in June btw.

flyinkiwi
19th Oct 2010, 20:20
First and foremost, don't try anything you read here without first discussing it with your instructor.

I had a similar problem to you when I was learning to fly, and it stayed with me even after I passed my PPL until an instructor giving me a type rating told me when you think you should be flaring, look out the window on a 45 degree angle at an object next to the runway (like a hangar, a tree or another aircraft) and your height above the ground will become readily apparent.

As far as flaring too fast, you have to remember that in order to flare you have to round out first, and the two need to blend together. The trick is to ease the stick back to reduce your rate of descent without arresting it entirely. My instructor made me count to 10 aloud while flaring to get the action right. When I asked him how I could possibly flare in time to avoid hitting the ground, he said to start "flaring" earlier. The ideal landing would see you arrive at your landing spot in the correct landing attitude at minimum flying speed, so he said to start at that point in time and work backwards and fly the plane from the approach to that point. Sometimes simplifying the problem can make it click, and I finally "got it".

As for your original post, it doesn't matter how long it takes, as long as you get there in the end!

hvogt
19th Oct 2010, 21:38
Adam,

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you had already flown your first solo, because you wrote you were doing circuit-bashing now. For me the circuit-bashing came after the first solo, and I thought this was the same for PPL training in the UK.

Anyway, don't worry about the hours. As I know from my fellow students and myself, it very often takes just a single lesson to learn something you have been struggling with for a long time before. So, most likely your first solo will happen sooner than you think, maybe after your next flight.

Best of luck.

hvogt

Adam1919
21st Oct 2010, 20:11
Sorry, my fault, looks like I have mis-used the term 'circuit-bashing' as it prob means solo practice. It was the term I used as my instructor has made it clear to me that all we will be doing now is circuits as there is nothing for me to perfect other than the landings really b4 I go solo.

Once I have cracked the flare I should be in business.

Thanks to one and all again for the help and advice
Adam

Janu
21st Oct 2010, 20:29
Best of luck with going solo, be sure to enjoy it all and be proud!

dan_vector
21st Oct 2010, 20:31
Good Luck Adam!! Let us know when it happens!!

bingofuel
21st Oct 2010, 20:38
If you do three consistent safe landings without scaring the instructor or damaging the aircraft and the weather has not changed you will probably do the forth on your own.

Emphasis on the consistency, they do not have to be perfect, just safe and consistent

22nd Oct 2010, 10:49
Hi Adam,

Here are a few threads on the subject of the number of hours before going solo:

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/417082-solo-hours-gfpt.html
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/354239-average-hours-first-solo.html
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/210095-ppl-training-hours-before-1st-solo.html
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/67910-after-how-many-hours-did-you-go-your-first-solo.html

I am sure that there was quite a recent one (last couple of months) but I couldn't find it.

The 4th thread is huge and goes back several years, but very interestingly it contains the results of a poll of nearly 600 people!

Paul H
23rd Oct 2010, 00:57
Hey Adam.

I took 19.6 hours to go solo. I was more than ready, as my instructor had made me do about 6 hours of them before hand to ensure he wasnt made to look like a dick when I was checked by the examiner. I probably could have gone earlier, but in aviation it's definately better to be sure.

RE: the flare. May I very shamlessly plug one of my youtube videos for you to watch. This is from a flight only undertaken on Oct 21st. If you skip to 08:00 you can see my approach and how I tackle the flare with a mild headwind (offset 20deg). The key is to fly stright and level at about 5ft above the runway with power off. Drag will slowly reduce the airspeed and you will slowly start to descend. But you want to resist the descent and keep slowly pulling back very gently attempting to keep the nose on the horizon. By the time you're near the stall, drag should have lowered you to just a foot or so above the surface (remember the stall warner goes off about 5kts above the stall, so if you hear it, dont panic and drop the nose, just hold it steady).

YouTube - GoPro HD - Flying (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T70jE-59YA) (Audio 1-2 sec out of sync for most of the video, with the exception of the first 10 and last 10 seconds).
I'm new to this myself having only accumulated 6 hours post license, so I'm more than happy for constructive critisism.

Adam1919
8th Nov 2010, 09:18
Hi all,

A few of you who were kind enough to give me advice/answer my questions asked for an update and I am pleased to say that not only did I go on to master the flare My instructor announced a after a few circuits yesterday we were landing so he could get out and for me to do my first solo.

I was not nervous as I had been taught well by a great instructor and felt I knew what I had to do. It was the single most amazing experience of my life and not only did I really enjoy it but I flew my best circuit yet.

To add to the list I went solo at 16hrs which I am fairly chuffed with.

Thanks again everyone, the words of wisdom certainly helped

Adam

rich_g85
8th Nov 2010, 10:09
Congratulations on your achievement Adam, well done. :ok:

Onwards and upwards!

Flyingmac
8th Nov 2010, 10:40
[/URL][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T70jE-59YA"]YouTube - GoPro HD - Flying (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T70jE-59YA) (Audio 1-2 sec out of sync for most of the video, with the exception of the first 10 and last 10 seconds).
I'm new to this myself having only accumulated 6 hours post license, so I'm more than happy for constructive critisism.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T70jE-59YA)
Checklist?

Fake Sealion
8th Nov 2010, 11:31
Would agree about the lack of a checklist. Why don't you use one ?

Slopey
8th Nov 2010, 11:38
No "Controls: full/free movement in the correct sense" check???

Hence - use a checklist!

I'll always remember training at a very well known FL based school - one of my buddies decided to do the walk around/pre-flight without a checklist. When challenged, he said he'd "memorised it". The colourful owner gave him both barrels such: "the 10,000 hour captain who flew you over here used a checklist, so you bl**dy well have to!". Good point, well made.

Big Pistons Forever
8th Nov 2010, 17:01
Paul H

As a new PPL you fly quite well. The landing in particular was nice with no porposing in the flare and a nice tail low touchdown.

You asked for some construcive criticism so here is my thoughts (I am an experienced instructor)

1) I second the above comments on the checklist. You have a good flow and obviously have worked at and are comfortable with the checks, but you should still "check" your actions once completed with the "checklist". Memorized checks for inflight busy periods like in the circuit are entirely appropriate but when the aircraft is not moving like pre/post start and pretakeoff you should use the checklist.

2) Get set up with seat belts on, seat adjusted cockpit organized before you start the engine. I strongly recommend the shoulder belts be used. If you crash with only a lap belt your head will impact the middle of the instrument panel. Imagine how your face will look after it smashes into all the knobs and protuberances on the panel.......

3) IMO you are placing excesive faith in the parking brake. The aircraft was pointed at a open hanger and was running while you were head down fiddling with the seat, closing he storm window, etc etc. Piper park brakes are not too bad but the Cessna ones (and many other light aircraft) are generally terrrible. It is a good idea to expect the park brake to slip and therefore keep an eye outside any time the engine is running

4) Do one task at a time. As you get more experience you can multitask, but as a new pilot give yourself some extra margin. So for example when starting the engine all you attention should be on that task and you only move onto the next one when the engine is running smoothly and the after start memory checks (RPM set, oil pressure rising, and ammeter not indicating massive discharge {a sure sign of a hung starter}) are complete.

5) I like to squeeze on a little brake just as the aircraft starts to roll as you start the taxi to make sure the brakes are in fact working, and require even pedal pressure.

6) When doing the runup don't rush. When you checked the carb heat it was only on for 2 or 3 seconds. Remember you are checking 2 things, 1: is the carb heat working and 2: is there carb ice ?. There is no way you will detect both in this brief time. Leave the heat on for at least 15 seconds while minitoring the RPM (you should see the intial drop in RPM indicating that the carb heat is functioning and then a rise in RPM if ice were present. If a lot of ice is present the engine will intially run rough which is a positive indication of ice build up but a small amount of ice will only be noticable as a gradual rise in RPM as it is melted off). For the mixture check I like to do it immediately after the carb ice check with the carb heat still on. As the mixture is slowly leaned the RPM should slowly rise as the overly rich mixture created by the carb heat is reduced and then the RPM should drop as the mixture becomes overly lean. This is a very good check that the mixture control is working properly and that the carburator is properly set up.

7) For most emergencies there is no rush to complete the vital actions, The main exception is the takeoff engine failure/fire senario. I teach that the last part of the pretakeoff check is to verbalize the actions that will be taken for an engine failure during the takeoff and for an engine failure after takeoff. This mental preparation primes the brain for the quick actions that are required if the worst happens.

8) I also like to use one hand on the stick and one hand on the throttle for takeoff. The control forces are not high so there is no reason not to guard the throttle on takeoff (and landing too).

9) I want my students to verbalize what I call the "good engine" call on takeoff. As soon as the trottle is fully advanced they look at the RPM guage and verify that the engine RPM is within the static RPM limits and that the main engine gauges are in the green.

10) IMO your flap retraction after takeoff was unnecessarily delayed. The purpose of the flaps is to help get the aircraft off the ground. Once it is off and climbing solidly at the Vy and clear of obstactles retract the flaps to maximise rate of climb. Altitude is your friend, you want to getthat first 1000 feet as quickly as possible.

It is easy to nit pick a video from the comfort of your computer screen so please do not take the above as me throwing rocks at your efforts. There is also more than one "right" way to fly an aircraft. My comments were meant to give you some things to think about and of course should be compared/contrasted with other opinions

Have fun flying !

Paul H
9th Nov 2010, 14:05
Ok, let me answer a few points made above.

1) I am fully aware I'm not using a checklist in this video. This is not my normal practice. I had just recieved the camera in the post 30 minutes before and was desperate to try it out as I was going away the following morning, and the Sun was getting low in the sky. If I were flying outside of the circuit, I wouldn't have hesitated in using one, but as I was only doing 1-2 circuits, I decided not to use one. Admittedly I chose to sacrifice safety for conveinience :=

2) "Controls: full/free movement in the correct sense" check???"
This check had already been completed before I got in the a/c, although I agree, for safety purposes it should have been checked again before t/o. I assume that as the piper control surface are controled via "mechanical" means, once tested they should not require double checking surely?

3) RE: "I strongly recommend the shoulder belts be used"
I agree too, but in the a/c we use they cut across your neck something terrible and cause a lot of discomfort while flying. In the video in question you see me wearing a hoodie so I suppose I have no excuse. I suppose it's a bad habit I've picked up as I usually wear low neck clothing while flying for comfort.

4) "IMO you are placing excesive faith in the parking brake"
Good point. I suppose from experience I know they are quite effective in the a/c I fly, but assumptions cause accidents. Thanks for that one.

5) "I like to squeeze on a little brake just as the aircraft starts to roll as you start the taxi to make sure the brakes are in fact working"
This is another good point, that I was once told by an old instructor that I once flew with. I remember him actually failing a student who was on a solo circuit test because he didn't do this. I did it a few times with other instructors but was told something along the lines of "assuming the brakes don't work once you've started taxing, just idle the mixture to shut off the engine...problem solved". Your point about our a/c facing the hanger though, will make me second think this again. Thanks.

6) "When doing the runup don't rush. When you checked the carb heat it was only on for 2 or 3 seconds"
I was under the imrepession (as you've stated) that if there is no ice the RPM will drop. If I watch the RPM drop after 2-3 seconds and running smoothly, what else do I have to wait for? RE: the mixture. I was never told to check it, at least it's not part of our airfields checklist. I know how to, but it was never a requirement. Again, I guess it's the lack of a habit. I'll definately start checking it as you suggest, thanks again.

7) "I want my students to verbalize what I call the "good engine" call on takeoff"
Nice idea, I'll give it a go.

8) " IMO your flap retraction after takeoff was unnecessarily delayed"
I was taught not to retract the flaps until 550ft on QNH (300ft QFE). This obviously increases the lift the wings produce which is vital at low speeds. As the winds can be quite unpredictable at low levels, I was told that keeping the flaps down until reaching "a safe height", can reduce any unnecessary loss of lift if the wind rapidly changes direction or speed.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. It is all apprecitated :D

Shorrick Mk2
9th Nov 2010, 14:28
RE: the mixture. I was never told to check it, at least it's not part of our airfields checklist. I know how to, but it was never a requirement. Again, I guess it's the lack of a habit. I'll definately start checking it as you suggest, thanks again.

Is the mixture check not part of the POH checklist?

stevelup
9th Nov 2010, 16:31
2) "Controls: full/free movement in the correct sense" check???"
This check had already been completed before I got in the a/c, although I agree, for safety purposes it should have been checked again before t/o. I assume that as the piper control surface are controled via "mechanical" means, once tested they should not require double checking surely?

I was taught to do a full + free as part of the initial checks, *and* just before the pre take-off vitals. Part of the point of the full and free check is to check that the controls haven't been obstructed by luggage or passengers. It's not much use checking it before you've got yourself and all your kit on board!

5) "I like to squeeze on a little brake just as the aircraft starts to roll as you start the taxi to make sure the brakes are in fact working"
This is another good point, that I was once told by an old instructor that I once flew with. I remember him actually failing a student who was on a solo circuit test because he didn't do this. I did it a few times with other instructors but was told something along the lines of "assuming the brakes don't work once you've started taxing, just idle the mixture to shut off the engine...problem solved".

I think it makes more sense to check the brakes as soon as you start rolling - what if you get up to taxi speed before discovering a problem. It's too late to do anything about it then...

6) "When doing the runup don't rush. When you checked the carb heat it was only on for 2 or 3 seconds"
I was under the imrepession (as you've stated) that if there is no ice the RPM will drop. If I watch the RPM drop after 2-3 seconds and running smoothly, what else do I have to wait for?

If you apply carb heat and there is carb ice you'll still get an RPM drop. What will then happen a few seconds later is that the RPM will increase as the ice melts. If you only check it for a couple of seconds, you've verified that the carb heat control works, but not actually checked for carb ice.

VOD80
9th Nov 2010, 22:10
A quick question, one that I can't find an answer for with a superficial search. What should you do if you find ice present? Presumably it built up while you were on the ground, could it not build up again before take off?

Cheers!

flyinkiwi
10th Nov 2010, 00:42
Yes it can, which is why most lineup checks involve cycling the carb heat.

aussiefan
10th Nov 2010, 08:58
Read the POH. This should be the basis for everything you do with regard the aircraft. Make sure you are doing the checks specified, you can add more if the school etc requires.

Paul H
10th Nov 2010, 09:43
I'm not sure about what's in the POH, I'll have a look. But in the expanded checklist we use, no.
It just says, check mixture rich --> start engine --> keep micture rich at all times until engine shut down. There are no mixture checks that need to be done.

Paul H
10th Nov 2010, 09:50
Ok, thanks stevelup, I'll get the books out again and have a quick read on the carb heat and take your advice on the brakes and controls.

mad_jock
10th Nov 2010, 10:32
Just have to say I like your attitude Paul.

Personally the not using a checklist is not a crime in my book in a SEP but the the posters have valid views.

The use of mixture is one of the poorly taught items generally in the UK. I must admit I was teaching it incorrectly/didn't know what I was doing. When I was instructing full time. There are some quite good threads if you search for them on the forum.

The carb heat again is taught by alot as something you have a fiddle with as part of a series of checks. Its only after you have a bum twitcher with carb icing you get more switched on with it really does. My bum twitcher was after a PFL on the go-around doing mutal training for my FIC. The 60 seconds it took to clear hanging in the air not accelerating or climbing with the engine farting and shuddering seemed to last a hour.

VOD80
10th Nov 2010, 11:59
flyinkiwi
Yes it can, which is why most lineup checks involve cycling the carb heat.

OK. Something to think about. In all my flying, I have to say that it is not something I've ever done, nor something that's ever been taught to me!

Cheers

Shorrick Mk2
10th Nov 2010, 12:41
It just says, check mixture rich --> start engine --> keep micture rich at all times until engine shut down. There are no mixture checks that need to be done.

Checking the mixture on preflight is paramount. Cruise performance figures are based on the mixture leaned as per the POH (and you may need to lean at takeoff already if your field elevation warrants it). Also one of the memory items in case of engine fire is mixture cutoff. Two very good reasons to make sure it works as advertised before you actually launch :ok:

Big Pistons Forever
10th Nov 2010, 16:51
A quick question, one that I can't find an answer for with a superficial search. What should you do if you find ice present? Presumably it built up while you were on the ground, could it not build up again before take off?

Cheers!

Put the carb heat on when you are lined up for takeoff. Increase power to runup value to get a good blast of hot air into the carb, pause for 15 seconds or so then if no indications of ice, carb heat off and apply full power. When full power is achieved check that the RPM guage is showing the correct static RPM value (remember this will be well below redline RPM) indicating you are achieving full power, and you are good to go to continue the takeoff.

Adam 1919

I seemed to have hijacked your thread about first solo's, sorry about that.
IMO opinion time to first solo means nothing, what really matters is what your skills and abilities and judgement are as a licensed pilot. The important thing in your flight training is that you are making progress. if you are stuck at any part of the course, including presolo, than you need to have a sit down with your instructor or even the CFI to figure out why you are not progressing and what to do about it.

VOD80
10th Nov 2010, 22:17
Big Pistons Forever

Put the carb heat on when you are lined up for takeoff. Increase power to runup value to get a good blast of hot air into the carb, pause for 15 seconds or so then if no indications of ice, carb heat off and apply full power. When full power is achieved check that the RPM guage is showing the correct static RPM value (remember this will be well below redline RPM) indicating you are achieving full power, and you are good to go to continue the takeoff.

I like it! Thanks, I'll work that into things from now on.

Cheers