PDA

View Full Version : A class act/KTEB/CYOW

clunckdriver
17th Oct 2010, 13:12
We use our little 421B Golden Eagle as a buisines tool, however when able we also do some free flying, transporting folks to centres where they can obtain certain medical treatments. Last week we flew a cancer patient to Teterboro {KTEB} on hearing what our mission was the manager of Jet Aviation FBO, John Langevin, gave us the fuel at cost price and waived the ramp fees. On the way back we landed at Ottawa to clear customs, Esso Aviatat also waived all fees, Thank you both folks, you are both class acts!

a330pilotcanada
18th Oct 2010, 01:40
Good Evening Clunkdriver:
I would assume at your age plus experience you must have contemplated what is important in life and what is not after transporting a cancer patient.
My only experience with that was a long time ago when I transported a jockey who had fallen off his horse and had his head clipped by one of the hoofs of his horse. He was comatose and we were bringing him back to YYZ where he was to live his days in a long term facility. My partner of the day was very squeamish and as were using a C-310 I lifted him off the stretcher and with the help of one of the E.M.T.'s was inside we passed him through the cargo door on to another stretcher.
As this was back before the days of medivac/lifeguard call signs A.T.C. gave us priority same with customs, ramp workers etc. Those are the days when the best come out of people and it is gratifying to hear it still happens.

clunckdriver
26th Oct 2010, 19:58
For those who may fly medical charity flights into KTEB, it seems this fuel discount has become SOP for such flights, again this is truly a class act! Thank you again Jet Aviation! For our little operation it means we can fly one extra flight each month, by avoiding a twelve hour ride in a patient transfer van this makes it so much better for the patient.

fesmokie
26th Oct 2010, 22:15
In 1990/91 I was involved with the evacuation of the Red Cross and patients from Khartoum,Sudan,Mogadishu and other African cities during my two years down there. The feeling of helping get these folks away from danger or to a hospital was one of the most gratifying times during my flying career. I was however paid for it but I also had the choice not to put myself in danger should I wish. I couldn't say no. Made me proud to be a Canadian as I found out after we got the Red Cross from Khartoum to Nairobi that several of them were also fellow Canucks. Any Pilot that's involved with medivac should be proud.

galaxy flyer
30th Oct 2010, 16:19
Beyond any doubt the nicest (perhaps, ONLY nice thing), ever said about KTEB.

GF