PDA

View Full Version : Loggin IFR time.

scott5988
16th Oct 2010, 11:13
Hi guys and girls!

Wonder if anyone can help!? In the middle of doing my IR at the moment. Before i logg my hours in my "good" logg book i need to find out a slither of info. My question is; Can you logg brakes off to brakes on time IFR? I have heard that "yes you can" from my FTO. Therefore a flight brake off to brakes on of 1.2 would simply be logged as 1.2. On the otherhand i have heard that this will not be accepted by Chaos And Agro (CAA) you have to logg just flight time making the IFR flight time 1 hour and total time (inc taxi) .2.

Can anyone advise me? Or give me a referece to any doccument that may be able to inform me?

many thanks :ok:

Meikleour
16th Oct 2010, 13:08
Scott: Refer to CAA407 ( ie. logbook ) and the instructions are quite clear on this matter. Do not confuse time flying under IFR with Instrument Flying Time (real or simulated) which you will find is what the CAA licencing people are interested in.

Tinstaafl
17th Oct 2010, 17:02
Don't confuse *IF* time with *IFR* time.

Instrument Flight time is the period spent manipulating the controls (and monitoring the autopilot, in many jurisdictions) while flying the aircraft without external visual reference ie on the clocks.

Instrument Flight Rules time is the period spend operating an aircraft in accordance with a set of procedures & rules that are designed to allow for weather conditions below that specified for Visual Meterological Conditions ie weather that isn't good enough for visual flight. Note that IFR doesn't *require* poor weather conditions - they just allow flight when & if the weather is unpleasant. I'd say pretty much all Instrument Rated pilots have many, many more hours IFR than IF due to flying under Instrument Flight Rules in good weather.

Hell, in the UK's Class G airspace you can be a non-instrument rated pilot and flip-flop to your heart's content between operating VFR and operating IFR. Flick a mental switch and say "Now I'm IFR" and then conform to those rules & procedures. Next moment flick the mental switch back again and go back to operating under the Visual Flight Rules. Of course without an instrument rating you must remain in Visual Meteorological Conditons but the *rules & procedures* you use change.

For any licence/rating issue it's nearly always *IF* time that is required, not IFR time.

It can be a bit confusing in the job market. *Usually* it's IF time that is wanted however some organisations specity *IFR* time in their requirements. I've even seen some state IFR, but when queried, discovered they meant IF.

Agaricus bisporus
17th Oct 2010, 19:48
Low-hanging fruit, this one.

Can anyone advise me? Or give me a referece to any doccument that may be able to inform me?

Loggin
logg
slither
otherhand
i
Chaos And Agro (no irony here then!)
referece
doccument

A dictionary or spellchecker might be a good starting place!