PDA

View Full Version : EASA and IMC

mykul10
15th Oct 2010, 15:18
I have just heard a rumour, that recently(ie last 3-4 days) there has been some news from EASA about grandfather rights for IMC holders. Any more news regarding this particular branch of the grapevine?

The Ancient Geek
15th Oct 2010, 15:24
I think you are referring to the UK IMC Rating.
There was some discussion of this in the Private & Recreational forum.

Justiciar
15th Oct 2010, 16:09
There is a rumour that existing holders will be allowed to continue to use the rating for their lifetime. I am not sure how that will work if the infrastructure for teaching the IMCR to new pilots disappears. Who will then revalidate the rating?

There are also rumours that EASA's FCL proposals have received the EU equivalent of a good kicking from the Commission and that any vote has been put off to at least December, so reports of the death of the IMCR may be premature.

S-Works
15th Oct 2010, 16:11
Who will then revalidate the rating?

Examiners. All IRE have embedded IMCr revalidation privileges and there are also a number of Examiners who do not have IRE but do have IMCr revalidation privileges.

David Roberts
15th Oct 2010, 16:20
Quote: "There are also rumours that EASA's FCL proposals have received the EU equivalent of a good kicking from the Commission and that any vote has been put off to at least December, so reports of the death of the IMCR may be premature."

The Commission chaired the meeting this week. The 'kicking' if any came from member states (it's their meeting).

But the IMCr issue will not be part of the current adoption process for the FCL Opinion. It will be dealt with when the FCL.008 proposals reach the Opinion stage - at least another year away probably as the NPA is not due until late in Q1-2011.

And before we all say 'timing' and 'co-ordination' the timing issue has been pointed out to EASA when FCL.008 started. I personally asked EASA for the IR / IMCr issues to be finalised in lEU law at the same time as the main FCL rules, in 2012. Otherwise there would be a 'regulatory operational gap'.

tyddynonn
15th Oct 2010, 19:04
How/where can we find out what the actual (as opposed to rumoured) outcome of the FCL meeting was? David - do your extensive contacts in EASA have any hard info?

IO540
15th Oct 2010, 19:12
Give it a few days.

Expect loads of face saving disinformation from EASA before and after :)

David Roberts
15th Oct 2010, 19:37
I do not disclose sources but the following happens to be on the AOPA website. I tallies with what information I have though I think there is some more detail that will emerge shortly.

Latest (http://www.joinaopa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=1&Itemid=247)

Edit : Sorry, Mike. didn't see your other thread with the above link. You were first!

capnbob
22nd Nov 2010, 09:33
More AOPA news here (http://www.aopa.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=249:eleventh-hour-bid-to-save-the-imc-rating&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=247)