PDA

View Full Version : A.S.T.A.C Air Traffic Controller Assistant Courses

NDW
15th Oct 2010, 12:19
Morning all,

Has anyone ever studied on any of these courses with this company

Astac Limited : Air Traffic Control Training, ICAO and Aviation English (http://www.astac.co.uk/)

I was looking at a few today, and there is an ATCA Course which lasts for one week.

Air Traffic Control Assistant http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/interface/dot.gifDuration: 1 Week
Objective: To provide a foundation in all aspects of ATC. Airspace, Airfield
layout, Operations and Flight Planning are just some of the subjects which the
course covers.
Prerequisite: An interest in ATC & Aviation.
Remarks: The course can be tailored to individual unit requirements and can
be presented at the requesting unit.

That sounds like a good course to enrol on, but I'm not sure if they charge for these courses, more than likely they will do. :\

Regards

NDW

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Oct 2010, 12:24
They sure don't do them for free! Be warned thatt he Air Traffic Control Assistant is a dying breed, although there are jobs going around the country if you are lucky.

Why not apply to NATS for ATCO training?

chevvron
15th Oct 2010, 14:01
I wouldn't think it's a very thorough course if it only lasts a week; my initial ATCA Course in 1969 lasted 4 weeks and you still didn't really start learning the job until you got to your operational unit. I'm sure that AATC Courses in the RAF last a lot longer too.

WhatMeanPullUp
20th Oct 2010, 09:06
Back in the early 80's the RAF AATC course was 6 weeks long.

arearadar
20th Oct 2010, 10:20
Hi Chevron,

I did my ATCA traing in 1965 (No 30 Course if I remember rightly). It was pretty thourough and lasted 4 weeks. Thus I agree that ASTAC can`t be too thorough.

Dave

belk78
20th Oct 2010, 10:43
With that course youŽll soon be qualified to work as an atco in Spain. Just wait a couple of months..

arearadar
20th Oct 2010, 13:32
H bel78,

I did just that and became a UK ATCO for thirty years!

dave :)

alfaman
25th Oct 2010, 12:34
In answer to the OP: yep, they'll charge for it. There are a number of units beyond NATS that will need ATSAs for the forceable future, & it's still a worthwhile step into ATC; however, your best bet would be to establish whether this course will be what they need, before you spend any money, & to that end, I'd suggest contacting the airports near you, or ones you've seen advertising, & see what they say..