PDA

View Full Version : Converting an ICAO's license to a FAA's license (Restrictions)

LMejiasCh
14th Oct 2010, 17:25
Hey buddies, I was wondering what does this mean on a FAA's license converted from an ICAO's license: "NOT VALID FOR THE CARRIAGE OF PERSONS OR PROPERTY FOR COMPENSATION OR HIRE OR FOR AGRICULTURAL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS." ???

I mean for a CPL/IR, what does it involve? I am from Venezuela, and I saw here too many licenses with that "restriction" so, it seems to be useless having a CPL if you cannot receive any compensation at all... I got my PPL in the US last July, but things went wrong and probably I will have to finish my CPL/IR here in Venezuela. I would like to know if I go to the US and do my written and chekride, will I have that restriction on my license? I only saw that on licenses converted to FAA's ones on the basis of a foreign licence.

I have been looking for that on the FAR and I found nothing but only information related to PPL... If anyone of you can help me to figure out what does it mean I would really appreciate it!

Regards,

Luis Mejias

LMejiasCh
14th Oct 2010, 23:47
Yeah I know a CPL is almost useless in the US... But I meant outside the US (here in Venezuela) flying a "N" registered aircraft... For example a person or a company which owns a jet (Citation II for example), if my converted license says that restriction can I fly that jet? Or do I have to do all the checkrides, written tests, etc, etc...

MarkerInbound
15th Oct 2010, 01:28
The "Not Valid for the ...." was put on Comm certs issued under 91.75 before 1997. They will only issue PVTs under 91.75 now so that won't be a factor.

If you take the US written and checkride, you'll have a stand alone (not based on another country's license) with no restrictions. You can get a CFI and instruct, fly cargo under 135, tow banners, fly pipeline, fly sight seeing flights, dust, or be a corporate pilot.

LMejiasCh
15th Oct 2010, 14:27
Thanks for the explanation MarkerInbound, that was what I thought! I'm pretty sure those licenses were issued before 1997, those are from old pilots.