PDA

View Full Version : Air Traffic Control Assistant (ATCA)

NDW
12th Oct 2010, 10:04
Good Morning all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to become a ATCA without having any previous Air Traffic experience.

I'm trying to get prior experience to see if I fit in within the trade and also gain valuable experience and skills from the career for future jobs.

I do have previous aviation knowledge: Aircraft recognition, Aircraft services etc.

I work at my local Airport and have experienced Airport life.

Many thanks

NDW

aluminium persuader
12th Oct 2010, 11:37
Certainly is.:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Oct 2010, 12:25
Have you spoken with the ATC people at your airport? Normally, a reasonable standard of education is required and your knowledge and experience would, I imagine, be beneficial (it certainly counted for a lot in years gone by). The ATSA grade in NATS is not as secure as it once was, although some ATCA posts are likely to remain for some time.

Good luck.

Under_the_radar
12th Oct 2010, 13:06
Air Traffic Control Assistant - Humberside Airport

Manchester Airport Jobs (http://jobs.manchesterairport.co.uk/jobsearch/jobdetails.asp?PageNum=1&strAction=&PageNav=SearchResults&JobID=432)

Example job description, still open incidentally!

NDW
12th Oct 2010, 13:52
Thank you for all your replies.

Under the Radar, thats excellent, I just applied for the job, so many thanks for finding that specific one.:ok:

I will try my local ATC and see what they can offer me.

Thanks

NDW

goatface
12th Oct 2010, 14:03
I will try my local ATC and see what they can offer me.

A better approach would be for you to contact your local "ATC" (:hmm:), and see what you can offer them.

Outwith NATS, the salary being offered at Humberside is very good for an ATSA, especially as its the policy of the unit to take from within for ATCO training.

The competition for the job will be huge and a local person will almost certainly be prefered to someone from the outside, so make sure your application is checked and then double checked for accuracy and professionalism by someone else.

mister-ron
13th Oct 2010, 15:19
goatface you have a new pm

novation
13th Oct 2010, 18:55
I started with NATS as an ATSA with only a healthy interest in aviation, but very little professional experience. Unfortunately NATS very rarely do an external trawl for vacancies for ATSA grades. Airports probably the way to go. Have you considered skipping the ATSA stage and applying to the college to train as an ATCO? Having been an ATSA for over 5 years for NATS before applying to the college, I realised that ATC experience counts for very little during the application process to be an ATCO. There was no advantage having been an ATSA prior to applying to be an ATCO.