PDA

View Full Version : Darwin terminal etc getting $100M expansion + 70 more flights / week

lurker999
12th Oct 2010, 00:50
THE number of domestic and international flights from Darwin will increase dramatically, following Jetstar and the airport resolving a long-standing dispute over a pricing agreement.

Jetstar yesterday announced more than 70 weekly return services from Darwin to Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Bali, and its intention to fly direct to Manila. Qantas also announced direct flights to Melbourne from Darwin.

The airport also announced a $100 million upgrade, including a $35 million terminal upgrade over the next two years.

$100m airport upgrade and 70 more flights | Northern Territory News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/10/12/185801_ntnews.html)

http://www.ntairports.com.au/Portals/0/MR%20-%20Landmark%20Agreement%20to%20Result%20in%20$100%20Million% 20Capital%20Injection%20_final_.pdf

Skynews
12th Oct 2010, 01:03
Just what Darwin needed, more Jetstar flights.

It's a good place to avoid until a "real" airline operates through their again. (internationally and during daylight hrs to Aus capital cities)

PPRuNeUser0198
12th Oct 2010, 04:50
Skynews - it seems none of the 'real airlines' want to fly through there...what does that tell you...

lurker999
12th Oct 2010, 06:32
since QF is the only full service airline left,

i can get in and out of Darwin direct to all of the mainland capitals (mel is part of this announcement) during the day, if i want. a little research skynews or does your research mirror that of the news org?:=

as far as late night flights go, it has always been thus. 24hr airport on the end of long domestic sectors with restrictions at ADL and SYD lends itself to that outcome. the aircraft can leave after the evening east coast rush and be back in the morning for the start of the day. i believe fleet utilisation is the correct business term for this use of aircraft.

as far as international goes, yes we would like SIA, etc here, but it's not a big market and dumping a 777, 330, 747, 380 is uneccessary (they have more than enough range to fly over us), and uneconomic, not enough uplift to make it profitable. so we take what we can get.

Skynews
12th Oct 2010, 22:30
There is difference between "real" and full service. Jetstar doesn't fit into either category.

I expect an airline to

Publish a time table and as much as possible stick to it.
Not cancel flights at short notice with a bad luck clause attached.
Not change times at the last minute, a regular occurrence, especially on international sectors. I am not talking about last minute operational changes, I am talking about changes a week or so before with no notification until check in.

Provision of water on board without the rediculous price tag would be nice.

Feel safe. I'm afraid I don't have great confidence, no more than paxing with any Asian carrier.

Doesn't really sound like much, BUT theybare simple requests. Apart from CHEAP seats there isn't much substance to this mob.

An airline like silk air, Bangkok Air Garuda at a pinch would be an improvement.

Goat Whisperer
13th Oct 2010, 06:16
bit far for Bangkok Air, but you may be on to something with Silk Air... connecting through SQ to the world...