PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Perth (WA) Tower

ATCWA
10th Oct 2010, 03:13
Good Morning

Is there anyone on the forum who could assist with arranging a visit to the tower at Perth Airport, if such a thing is possible?

I'm currently taking part in the Airservices ATC recruitment process, and was hoping to use this to ensure I have a thorough undersatnding of the role. I have previously visited towers in the UK however, thought it would be a good idea to visit a tower run by Airservices.

If it helps I currently hold a valid ASIC card.

Thanks

AD

mirage3
10th Oct 2010, 08:45
Have you considered contacting Airservices Australia who own and manage the Tower? After all, should you manage to get through the incredibly competitive ATC selection process you would have been expected to show initiative. It is one of the skills you will be expected to display extraordinary high levels of character in.:confused:

ATCWA
10th Oct 2010, 12:09
Thanks very much for your advice. Contacting Airservices was my very first consideration. I also thought I would use the forum to network with anyone who works as an ATC in the Perth area and maybe in a position to facilitate a visit.

Thanks again.

bluerider777
12th Oct 2010, 16:51
ATCWA - good thinking to use the forum, not sure how many from WA are on here at the moment though!

I would find an ERSA. In the Perth section will be a contact number for Perth Tower or TCU. Try this. I have heard of people approaching AsA thru People and Change (old HR) and having trouble getting a visit.

If you ring the Supervisor directly you should be able to get something (we love to show off our towers etc lol).

TCU 9476 8620 (they may give you tower number or arrange the visit)
Jandakot - 9417 0900

Good luck!

Awol57
13th Oct 2010, 06:25
The Jandakot number is wrong, call our manager on 08 9476 8512.

If you call the TCU they should be able to give you a name of whom is best to call.

ATCWA
13th Oct 2010, 11:42
Bluerider, I contacted ASA some time ago and had no response. Contacted the TCU today and had a date for a visit sorted immediately, everyone was very helpful. Really appreciate your response.

Now just have to brush up on my initiative. :D

divingduck
13th Oct 2010, 17:22
Have you considered contacting Airservices Australia who own and manage the Tower? After all, should you manage to get through the incredibly competitive ATC selection process you would have been expected to show initiative. It is one of the skills you will be expected to display extraordinary high levels of character in.

Gee, and there was me thinking that ATCWA was actually showing initiative by posting that question here...probably thought that he would receive some professional replies from professionals.

PS it can't be too competitive to get in...I did, and so did most of my workmates ;)

PPS. ATCWA, good luck with it all...even better luck will be needed to score Perth Tower :)

QFA777
13th Oct 2010, 17:37
Too true DD!!

How is the sunny emerald isle treating you these days?

ATCWA the boys and girls downstairs should be able to arrange a visit up to where the real ATC is done when you visit, if not ask the gentleman at the front desk and he will organise it.

mmhbtower
18th Oct 2010, 11:19
Coal miner

divingduck
20th Oct 2010, 16:45
LOL...Sunny and Emerald Isle mentioned in the same sentence!

Not too bad over here...management and staff get on remarkably well, work isn't too taxing, no chance of being overloaded or asked to work long hours because of staff shortages etc etc.
Amazing to think that there really is life outside of work!